Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need info for rolling stool

Blog Entries
    In two weeks I will have a new Innova 18" LA delivered, set up, a long time dream come true! I don't stand well for long periods, do any of you have a well padded rolling stool that you would recommend? I cannot find any locally, just office type. Would like to try it out but trust a quilter who needs a stool will know the specifics I should look for if I have to order it online. Thanks so much, I just keep learning from this great group of quilters every day.

Maybe you could also look at trying a "drafting chair", I work at Staples and they have one on wheels or you could google one up.

Bj's warehouse also has the drafting stools at reasonable prices and they're comfortable. I use one at work.

Also, possibly a medical supply place, like in a doctor's office.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to each of you, will follor up on both ideas. There is a Staples about 15 miles from me, have not been there. Will check for BJ's, maybe an online store? Thanks again, happy quilting....Lynne

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No ideas but so happy for you getting your dream machine !! :D

Mary Maxim has a stool out in her catalog. It is 3 legged and the seat looks like a bicycle seat. I want to get my mother one. She's 83 and has very very bad news. Go to MaryMaxim.com and look at it. I think it would be great and just the right height for a quilting machine.

Using a stool for a quilting frame and machine, I would think, would have to have casters in order to easily move along from one edge to the other of the quilt being quilted. I am about to practice on such an arrangement, and want to know if there is any special technique for "sliding" along on a rolling stool.
    Sonia K

Blog Entries
    I looked into using a mechanic's shop stool. The seat padding is a lot better than an office chair, and there is usually a storage shelf underneath. And, they're built strong, and the height adjusts.
    The only drawback is that they don't have a back on them, but for some of us, that's a bonus.

I need to find me some kind of chair, too. Can't stand long due to a bad knee. I told DH I needed a long bench with a sliding seat built into it, kind of like the carriage that my quilting machine sits on. Then I could slide back and forth along with it! :lol: (Bad thing is, I was only half-joking when I said it! ;) )

For the moment, I just move the quilting frame near the end of the bed, and sit on the bed while I quilt. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the help, you are great friends. I have had both knees replaced, they do fairly well, fight the pain of fibromyalgia and have to rest often. Thought I might last longer if I can get up and down as I work. So excited to be quilting the 7 quilt tops I have waiting, after the hours of learning and practice of course.

Looks like the rolling stool on the mary maxin site is the most affordable, have to consider that while making payments on the machine. I am anxious to get to know her and give her a name.
    It is a beautiful day in NW Kansas, hope it is where you are also. May you be a blessing to the Lord and others this day.
    Lynne

Blog Entries
    I took the backs off simple office chairs that have the air lift. The seats are contoured just right and easy to add more padding if needed and cover in pretty fabric using a staple gun. I have several in my sewing room. I love the stools to sit on. Walmart had the chairs on clearance for $15, and the nicer quality office chairs for on clearance for $30.

I bought a kneeling chair - it is supposed to be ergonomically correct (better for your back) - it also has rollers on it. Basically it looks like an office chair but has a spot for your knees to rest on it - try google to find it. I love mine.