Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to know why everyone buys vintage Singers

I've been reading how some of you have found Singer featherweights and love them...My question is "do you really use them or are they just for display".
    I've been researching them because you all made me curious and find that if I were to buy one it would be a 301A. But why would I buy one, would I really use it when I have the modern sewing machines...

The featherweight only weighs about 11 lbs. It is perfect for taking to classes, retreats, etc (as long as you only need a straight stitch). It sews a beautiful stitch and they are just plain ADORABLE!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    I've been reading how some of you have found Singer featherweights and love them...My question is "do you really use them or are they just for display".
    I've been researching them because you all made me curious and find that if I were to buy one it would be a 301A. But why would I buy one, would I really use it when I have the modern sewing machines...
    BOTH. Ours is actually one my DH parents bought him when he left home in 1978. It is 221model 40's but I don't remember exact yr right now. We use it, she's pretty, and purrs like a kitten!!!

Thanks for asking this question! I've been wondering this myself.

I am blessed to have my mother-in-law's Featherweight and I use it at home and at our sewing ministry's weekly meetings. It is especially nice to sew patchwork because the seam is so straight. The needle doesn't waver. I guess it's the simple things in life that bring us the most pleasure sometimes.

Not everyone. I guess there's already my DH's GM's treadle sitting here.
    He's the only one who can use it. I never got the hang of treadles so it
    will probably remain unused as I took over the sewing jobs. I use my
    Janome or my Kenmore or just mend by hand if I have to. Yes, I do
    mending. LOL

pab

Blog Entries
    Nothing can beat piecing on a FW!(for me)...pab

they will outlast anything on the market today

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    they will outlast anything on the market today
    Sure will.....

Blog Entries
    they just don't make them like they used to.

I got a brand new Singer for $400 for Christmas 2010. It died just shy of it being a year old.

The oldies just don't stop. Give them a lil oil, a lil TLC and they'll last forever

The old Singers have metal parts, they don't break, they are easy to maintain, they sew beautiful stitches, and they run forever! I own a newer Singer, but it has gone to live at my sister's house so she can do mending with it. I only use my machines that were built before 1960.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Lyncat]The old Singers have metal parts, they don't break, they are easy to maintain, they sew beautiful stitches, and they run forever!

I have the Singer Feather Weight, 201-2, 301, 401, 500, 66 handcrank, 99K, 15-91 and I love and use them all. Can't beat those old Singers for the most perfect stitch.

I like mechanical machines that don't "think" for me. I like to sew very slowly when I'm piecing, so a treadle is about perfect for me.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have old and new.
    Singer: 66, 201, 301, Featherweight
    New: Bernina

Love them all!
    I now have my big eyes on a Singer 15.
    I'm also trying to find an embroidery only machine for not a ton of money.
    I need help lol

I love my older ones. I just got my 403a that I purchased this weekend back from the sewing machine repair guy. He gave her a good tune up and she sews like a dream. I also have a 15-91 that I use to sew dh's jeans, cover alls, coats and other heavy things. I haven't got to use my 66-16 yet because dh is rewiring it but I love the looks of it. The older machines are great machines. They will last. I now they are going to out last my Decor Computer Janome.

I have several TOL modern machines, but none sew through multiple layers like my vintage Singer industrial, 201s or 301s.

The modern machines are great for all their neat features, but the oldies still can't be beat for certain functions.

I have a 1952 featherweight I'm using now. They are great little machines. I just love mine. I would love to have a 301 too.

Blog Entries
    I just love anything vintage, I think deep down I don't want to give up the past. The older you get the more time flys, my Mom always said, and you know what... She was right..

I use mine---not a featherweight but a full size model---because unlike my newer machines, I can sew all day with it and not have to stop to fix weird things....like clumps of thread on the back and that kind of annoyance! Mine is a 1941 that was a gift from a neighbor couple that was moving back in 1981 or so and didn't want to take this heavy "portable" with them. I had the footpedal and motor replaced a few years ago, and she doesn't make bobbins any more (I bought one of the little bobbin makers...) but I can binge sew with absolutely no problems.

Blog Entries
    After the death of my beloved Viking 6430, I purchased a new Singer (it sits in a box, I really hate that thing), then I purchased a 301a, which goes to guild and UFO's 5 times a month. It sews a consistently beautiful stitch and never complains about being overworked. It has not replaced my 6430, but it sure runs a close second. I have an aversion to plastic and my little pretty is metal and weighs in at about 14 lbs. and sports a handle for easy transport.

Cause they're just so darn beautiful! I would love to have a Featherwieght. Just waiting...waiting....waiting.

Blog Entries
    Sew on one, you'll find out real quick!

I am just sentimental about old Singers. They remind me of my grandmother, and I miss her dearly. It feels like I have kept a piece of her alive when I use antique machines. The newest Singer I own right now is a 1974. The others are from 1949, 1950, and 1950.

[quote=KatFish]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyncat
    The old Singers have metal parts, they don't break, they are easy to maintain, they sew beautiful stitches, and they run forever!

I have the Singer Feather Weight, 201-2, 301, 401, 500, 66 handcrank, 99K, 15-91 and I love and use them all. Can't beat those old Singers for the most perfect stitch.
    Wow...you have them all....you all are convincing me....

I love to sew on them-they are very sturdy & they don't talk back to me like my computerized ones! I have way too many, but I like to find them & fix them. They just purr along oh, and their parts are all metal, you can get to their insides. Manuals even have oiling instructions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast