Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need longarm help >

Need longarm help

Need longarm help

Old 10-29-2016, 07:37 AM

Default Need longarm help

I need suggestions. I pieced a queen sized back with a long vertical seam, and I think that's why I'm having such trouble loading it onto the frame. I'm thinking of buying some clothesline cord and packing it into the roll to take up the fullness. Will that work? Any other ideas? My last resort is to take the zippers off and put them on the sides.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561254[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I think moving the zippers and loading the quilt so that the big seams are horizontal is your best option.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:47 AM

I've just started longarming, but I wouldn't mess around with the clothesline. I would take the zippers off, turn it, and be done with it. From what I learned in class and have seen on this board, that extra seam bulk can really cause problems if you don't have the seams parallel to the roller bars.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I would also load it the other way. If that's not possible, you can put batting scraps into the roll to take up the extra fullness.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 AM

Dunster and jennifer23 have gave you very good advice. If the backing is square, when you first load the quilt, it makes it easier for the backing to lay flat if the seams run along the rollers instead of wrapping around them. After the quilt has some quilting done on it, it can be removed and reloaded (to do borders on what were the sides) with the seams wrapping around the rollers.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:01 AM

In looking at everything in your pictures it looks like your backing is loaded unevenly, so I would start with reloading it and seeing where that gets you. I too load my quiltbacks with the seams vertical rather than horizontal. Here is a great tutorial....https://youtu.be/sTwwkAI7YM0. If that doesn't work, then try reloading the back with the seams horizontal and if all else fails then the backing may need to be redone. Good luck, please let us know the solution you found!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 AM

The backing appears unsquare to me too ( though thosecenter additions may have ''taken up''. Forgetfiddlingw/stuffers, as you've not yet begun. Just turn it. You'll be glad you did.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM

I always load quilts with a seam parallel to the rollers, never the way you loaded it. If the back has many seams, I load it with the most seams or the longest seam parallel to the rollers. I agree with everyone else that your simplest and best solution is to reload it the other way and be done with it. Did you also remember to sew the backing seam with half inch seam allowances and to press them open? Makes for less bulk that way.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:06 PM

When I load a backing that has a vertical seam, I am sure to tug a little in the middle of the fabric around the pole and not too much on the sides. That makes the center snug and seems to work out fine for me, that is if the backing is square to begin with. My machine is on a 10' table so sometimes i am not able to pin the backing horizontally on anything over 95".
Old 10-29-2016, 07:38 PM

I'd reload it with the seams going horizonal,too--I've found that it saves a lot of headache! When there is a little bit of sag on the sides I will stuff a little batting between the backing and the belly bar--but you do have to be aware of it when you roll the quilt and check the underneath of the backing to make sure you don't get a tuck--so easier to just reload it.

Also--judging by the way the quilt on the bars is uneven, it doesn't look like it's a square backing.