Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea >

Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea

Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea

Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 AM

I have a good friend who is also a quilter and she comes up with the neatest ideas of things to make. I know she is going to give me something homemade for Christmas and would like to give her something I made too that is not the usual table runner, pillow, etc. Does anyone have anything they've made that's a little different. I also have an embroidery machine if that helps. Thanks !
Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Does your friend like to cook? I needed a gift for my boss who likes to bar-b-que. I bought a pre-made apron and made pockets out of Steelers fabric and made a Steelers potholder. Added a gift card and some Seasoning Salt. If you're more clever than I am, there are some really cute apron patterns and you could make her one and personalize it. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 AM

How about a bread basket, basket with a cloth wrap to keep the bread warm!

with it open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144177[/ATTACH]

Closed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144178[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144172.jpe   attachment-144173.jpe  
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM

I made many mug buckets this year, they are great for notions, or just on the desk for pens and pencils.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 AM

A stocking full of rolls of fat quarters, a quilting book that she's been wanting, a thread set, a new ruler that she doesn't have. Any of these could be accompanied by a loaf of some type of bread or a plate of fudge or cookies. You're cutting it rather close on the time frame. LOL Don't feel bad, I still have three couch throws to finish and a costume to make for church for Sunday night and a totally black outfit for DD for Wednesday night. Oh, and we have to stuff the goodie bags for her school party.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM

I just gave a friend a candle mat and a nice candle. It's not really different from a runner, but it had the little pop ups in the center square so looked a little different from the typical.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Does she drink coffee? I saw reusable coffee cups in Wal-Mart that are like the ones you get from coffe shops. You could get the cup and then make seasonal wraps to go around it.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by KayT
I made many mug buckets this year, they are great for notions, or just on the desk for pens and pencils.
Can you share where you bought the pattern?
I have been wanting to make some but don't want to waste the miles of fabric it would take me to try and design a pattern of my own.
TIA
Sorcha
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM

My quilting friend just presented me a "Christmas tree" made with 4 fat quarters and some gold trim. Very cute, I know I saw one in the December secret pal swap or the secret santa reveal here on the board. Basically 3 FQ's are folded into a triangle and stacked inside one another with the 4th rolled like the tree trunk. Easy peasy
Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

That reminds me a few days ago someone posted a Christmas tree made from a foam cone, covered with fabric and decorated with buttons and odds and ends (just pinned on, not even a glue gun. Cute as could be, I made 4 and they are quick.
Originally Posted by Terryl
My quilting friend just presented me a "Christmas tree" made with 4 fat quarters and some gold trim. Very cute, I know I saw one in the December secret pal swap or the secret santa reveal here on the board. Basically 3 FQ's are folded into a triangle and stacked inside one another with the 4th rolled like the tree trunk. Easy peasy