Need a new machine!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Need a new machine!

Ok, quick question...
Pfaff Ambition 1.0
or a
Pfaff 2140

Opinions? Good or bad?

I need a piecing machine. I hate the one I bought.

Kirsten
Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Lots of reviews on-line if you want to look with google.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM

I have the Pfaff Ambition Essential that I use for piecing, instead of my much more expensive Janome. I love it.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I don't know anything about the machines you asked about.

Any basic machine should be good enough to piece on. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:17 PM

I owned a 2144 and I use an Ambition 1.0 at work so I am familiar with both machines. If you want a basic workhorse machine, Pfaff is the one for you. The Ambition 1.0 is a basic machine with IDT. It has some embroidery and basic stitches as well as some stretch stitches. I am a seamstress in a bridal shop and we use it at work for alterations so it really gets a work out. We have used these machines for several years and have had no problems. The machines are working about 8 hours a day for 4 to 5 days a week. The 2144 is a great machine as well. It also has IDT. There are many built in stitches to do a wide variety of sewing, quilting or what every you want to do. It also is an embroidery machine. I have done some beautiful embroidery on it. You can download designs and stitch them out or stitch out the built in designs.

You said you wanted a piecing machine. Either one will be perfect. It just depends on how much you want to add embroidery to your sewing or not. Both are great machines and will be very dependable for you. I know I sound like an ad for Pfaff but I have owned a Pfaff machine for over 25 years.

I traded my 2144 for a Creative Sensation Pro and I love that one too. Someone mentioned price and Pfaff may be a bit more expensive.......you get what you pay for. I am a 'Pfaff girl" for sure.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

For piecing you will like a straight stitch only machine. No wide feed dogs to contend with.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:02 AM

I piece with a Baby lock and a Janome 7000 like them both .

good luck
Old 07-15-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
For piecing you will like a straight stitch only machine. No wide feed dogs to contend with.
Lol! I just bought a new- to- me Horizon 8900qcp and LOVE the wide 9 mm feed dogs...they feed the bias edges beautifully on my current project ( triangles forming hexies). But as someone stated...any basic machine will piece...my Singer treadle is a great example.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
Ok, quick question...
Pfaff Ambition 1.0
or a
Pfaff 2140

Opinions? Good or bad?

I need a piecing machine. I hate the one I bought.

Kirsten
What is it you don't like about your present machine? The one you chose should offer the most options you'd like...eg:large flat deck vs sleeve arm? large throat? quiet/ powerful? or light weight portability? knee lift? other stitch options for non quilt projects? simplicity for use?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM

I went to the manufacturer's website and did a search for dealers. None were in the US. What am I missing? I can't remember when I last saw a new Pfaff. They have always had an excellent reputation.

I'm no help with your question, but just curious to know what your disappointing machine is and what you don't like about it. It might help to steer me away from a mistake at some point.