Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a New Machine >

Need a New Machine

Need a New Machine

Old 03-05-2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
yep, you are getting suggestions for machines with a wide variety of features. I would make a list of what you want your machine to do. Just a straight stitch? want some utility stitches like zigzag? Do you make buttonholes? Do you like to embellish your other projects with decorative stitches? Do you stitch on fabrics other than quilting cotton? Use denim or upholstery fabric? I would also look at what machines are serviced in your area. In my area I have two dealerships. One does Bernina and Janome. The other one does Viking, Pfaff, and Singer. Having a dealer close by helps with maintenance, repairs, and getting those wonderful accessories.
I think a reliable service company nearby is a must. The closest to me is 1 hr and I’m not rural. If it can’t be repaired, consider it a throw-away; when it break, throw it away.

Computers are outdated in a few yrs and can’t be serviced after not so many years.

Unless the repair service nearby is authorized for your machine, they probably can’t get parts. Ie: Bernina repairs Bernina and doesn’t sell parts to Jo Blow down the street.

Very important: what do you want to do with it. My Bernina has all the memory for machine embroidery. The unit is $2000: I don’t do embroidery so why spend more money (than the already installed memory, etc.) for the unit?

Most (95%) of my sewing is on a mechanical, straight stitch only machine. A true workhorse with a perfect straight stitch. A machine for fancy stitches, button holes, zippers, etc. is max $250 NEW. And that one weighs <12 pounds; easy to tote. Service is $100+, so when it breaks, it’ll be trash and buy a new one.

So again, what do you want to do with it? Not maybe in 10 yrs…..you may never get around to it. And what’s on the market in 10 yrs will be totally different.

I’ve experienced 60 yrs with sewing machines. They change constantly.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:14 AM

The problem with the new machines that have circuit boards, is that the boards can fail and you may not be able to get a replacement for it or get it repaired. I'm lucky in that I have a place close to me that can repair most anything including circuit boards if they are not too damaged. I have a mechanical machine that keeps on chugging. You can shop around and still get new mechanical machines. If you go with an electronic machine, get the one that has all the features you need plus some features that you don't actually need but would be spiffy to have.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:07 PM

When I got my Viking D1 way back it was the top-of-the-line machine and so totally spoiled me. I loved that machine and I wish they were still making them. Yep, it was computerized, yep, I did a ton of embroidery on it. Yep, it was over twenty years old. And the screen finally went blank about 2 years ago. I did everything on that machine including making draperies with pleating tape so it was going through several layers of fabric and yet it did delicate free-standing lace. It was solid machine and why they quit making it is beyond me. I know I will never do everything my new Bernina's can do but I am enjoying them very much. I really don't travel, live in a small paid for house with a decent sized yard and in northern Minnesota where the winters are long. Stitching makes winter tolerable now that I am too old to play outside in the snow.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:03 AM

You and I are in the same boat. I'm enjoying this thread although I really don't know what to do yet. I hadn't thought about buying two machines as suggested above, but that may be the way I go. The nearest service for me is 1.5 hours away, yet the local shop sells Bernina which seems far too high priced for me. Hope more people chime in here to give us suggestions!
Old 03-11-2023, 09:13 AM

Would you buy a used machine? Maybe at an estate sale?

To be honest, I think that the reason they do not replace circuit boards is that they can get more money for a new machine. It's the "planned obsolesce" that they used now to make sure a product doesn't last too long...the shorter the life span of a product, the more money they can make.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
Would you buy a used machine? Maybe at an estate sale?

To be honest, I think that the reason they do not replace circuit boards is that they can get more money for a new machine. It's the "planned obsolesce" that they used now to make sure a product doesn't last too long...the shorter the life span of a product, the more money they can make.
They are actually sewing computers. How long do you expect your desktop, laptop, tablet, cellphone to last? I do have an old plug in phone to that still works as long as my old landline is in service.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:07 PM

After sewing for years on a Kenmore, when I wanted to invest in a quilting sewing machine I looked at Janome. I picked Janome because they are heavily used in school sewing classes so I reasoned that they must have some enduring qualities. I have never regretted my choice and recommend them. Whatever model fits best for you. That said, it's also important to think about having your machine serviced so you might want to start by checking whether there are ways of having whatever you buy serviced.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:46 PM

I have a basic Bernina and have used it about ten years at least with no problem. The salesman said the basic models have the same motor as the more expensive ones. I tried several inexpensive Singers before that and they were all disasters. Bernina is not cheap but they're good. Often a dealer may have a used machine for sale.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
How much are you willing to spend?
Which features does it have to have?
Are there dealers in your area that also do repair and maintenance?
-I can't afford more than $500 which I know is low end.
-I would like a mechanical machine.
-my local dealer carries Ever Sewn, Bernina, and Janome but services most brands
Old 03-22-2023, 05:13 AM

Hands down the Janome HD9 is the best single stitch. Mechanical machine. Check out the youtube comparisons with that and the Juki.
A new one is more than your budget, you may find a dealer that has a trade in. It is worth the extra..