Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new printer >

Need a new printer

Need a new printer

Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Question Need a new printer

Help, this relatively new quilter (4 years) is looking for the best printer for quilting. I have the EQ7 program which as a lot of you know does some amazing things. I would like a printer that can print on the paper used to create iron on graphics, as well as print on fabric. I would also like it to print true to size for when I design blocks or applique. Please make suggestions. I am hoping to do this some time around President's Day Sales.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice or starting point for research.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

actually any printer can do that..it is the INK and the PAPER you have to watch. As for true to size, YOU have to set the printer to do that, they don't know what true to size is for every program you use! THOUGH, having said that, I have never had an issue with my printer being OFF size when I print from a program, Adobe or PDF files. It is COPY machines that are generally NOT true to print!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Some products require,an ink jet printer, but that's what most printers are.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I have 3 sitting in my floor right now!! LOL Just didn't know which one I liked best...one Brother, one Lexmark and one HP! I ended up keeping the HP for no particular reason except that it was "wired" and not "wireless".
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Look for a printer that uses pigment based ink for both black and colors, such as Epson DURABrite Ultra inks or Epson UltraChrome inks. These are both fade- and water-resistant.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM

I just bought the hp photosmart6510 $119 plus tax Love it. easy to install and use. a dream compared to my epson that hated me and died after a year, and the ink is reasonable plus you can get regular size ink or large size depending on use.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 AM

i need to get a ink jet one to print on fabric. but
of course, i dont think this one will ever die. lol
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm making my want, need and "in my dreams" list for a new printer and will soon be purchasing one that will double for my business and be useful for my quilting needs!

You might find some additional insights in this thread ...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-buy-colour-printer-scanner-quilting-t176548.html

On another note ... why is it that sometimes the thread name shows? and other times (as above) that only the link shows?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 AM

My HP Photosmart C5280 is soooo missnamed. I hate it. It prints the worst pictures of any printer I have ever had. I keep hoping it will have a brain infarction, or some similar disaster.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'm making my want, need and "in my dreams" list for a new printer and will soon be purchasing one that will double for my business and be useful for my quilting needs!

You might find some additional insights in this thread ...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-buy-colour-printer-scanner-quilting-t176548.html

On another note ... why is it that sometimes the thread name shows? and other times (as above) that only the link shows?
Thank you for the thread, it is helpful to read what other people are using. You didn't state what you had decided on for yourself, lol!