Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new sewing table! >

Need a new sewing table!

Need a new sewing table!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Dumb me, I wanted to turn my sewing table so I could add a table at the end my sandwiching my quilt I'm working on. Sewing table was stuck and couldn't see where, so I tugged on it. Shouldn't have done that; pressend board sewing tables don't like that. Joint fittings pulled out of bottom. Now my table sits like a "V". Hubby is going to try and fix it when he comes home.

Joint fittings pulled out - not good!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69121[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69115.jpe   attachment-69116.jpe  
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 AM

good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 AM

that stinks. I hope your hubby can get the boards to hold together again.

You may need to add some plywood or something more substantial than the particleboard. I have had a lot of furniture that goes together like that in my life, and it's not build to hand down to your kids, that's for sure.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your table. I hope your husband is able to fix it for you. Thanks for sharing your experience, we now have learned what not to do.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM

You can absolutely fix pressboard furniture! I have done it many times. The key is that you have to accept it will never come apart again!

Use Gorilla Glue or something similar and clamp it down or weigh it down tight for at least 24 hours. You may need to carefully clean up some of the glue after it dries (it expands).

In order to fix it properly, be prepared to take it apart - at least part way. While you are at it, add some glue (Gorilla or wood glue) to all of the joints. Even with the screws and bolts, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM

oh wow that did come apart...lesson learned LOL
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM

No you are not dumb. That darn table shouldnt have done that to you! I bet when your husband gets home he will have it fixed in no time. P.S. Love your sewing table, I hate mine, when I sew fast it makes my machine jump all over the place.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
No you are not dumb. That darn table shouldnt have done that to you! I bet when your husband gets home he will have it fixed in no time. P.S. Love your sewing table, I hate mine, when I sew fast it makes my machine jump all over the place.
Put a piece of drawer liner(the same as a rug gripper) under it. You can get some at a dollar store, grocery store or Wal-Mart. It will keep it from walking away from you and also can use this under your foot pedal(if you have one)!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
You can absolutely fix pressboard furniture! I have done it many times. The key is that you have to accept it will never come apart again!

Use Gorilla Glue or something similar and clamp it down or weigh it down tight for at least 24 hours.
. . .and key, if you use this very effective method . . .make sure it fits through the door without disassembling. Ask me how I know . . . :roll: :lol:
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Gramma B If you have the room and have an old table do what we did. We took a 4X8 piece of plywood and made a top for the table. Its large enough for several to sew or to set up several machine or just to use your self.. He built me a raise cutting table that sits at one end of the larger table. The small table holds my larges cutting mat. 36 in good luck on getting your fixed or a new one made which ever you want