Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I LOVE ETSY!

I haven't started selling yet (don't think my stuff is good enough) but I've bought a TON of stuff from there.

Mostly stuff for my classroom - magnets, vinyl wall decorations, signs, etc.

Found a pretty awesome keychain for my impossible to suprise boyfriend - he'll love it.

I do have a STASH of pictures of stuff that I've liked that I'm pretty sure I could make myself if I just get some free time...

=)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:01 PM

I love browsing through etsy for ideas - not to copy - but I can change it around to something that suits me. My daughter and I have a shop there, but not much up. We have not made a sale at all and now don't expect to. There is SOOOOOOO much there that one has to really stand out to get noticed. I am going to build us an online store for our really serious selling, but have to wait until we get some more inventory. Daughter will not be able to help much until summer school is over. (College courses can be very time consuming in the summer!)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Barb_MO
My sister Vivian and I have an Etsy shop. We opened it in November....haven't sold anything yet, but I'm going to give it a while longer before giving up.
the secret to selling on Etsy is that YOU have to do a lot of self promoting/advertising...without, you just sit there watching paint dry...
put your link in your email siggy, and in your profile siggy...start a blog if you have to..put a page on facebook, etc..ETSY does not advertise YOU...only you can do that!
There are also a lot of things you can do to become more easily 'found' by search engines. The Etsy forums and resources have a wealth of information on marketing and increasing your shop's SEO (search engine optimization). But it's true, they (Etsy) won't sell anything for you...any more than the landlord at a brick and morter shop will.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

I have an Etsy shop that I opened last summer thinking it would be a good way to keep my mind occupied while sitting with my mom who was dying of cancer at the time. I had hoped to have everything in order for the Christmas rush but then she passed away in November, so I put the shop in vacation mode for a while. Recently I decided to give it another go. So I haven't sold a great deal but I've purchased sewing/quilting supplies and have found that I really like being able to do that. The other sellers are wonderful, and I really like being part of a community of like-minded crafters.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 PM

I've bought a couple of patterns on Etsy from gals who had figured out how to do a couple of things I was struggling with. Their price, I thought, was reasonable, and they saved me a truckload of time. I also like Etsy when I'm looking for something unusual. I appreciate the handcrafted element.

I've purchased on Craigslist with great success and no shipping or delivery or tax charges is a huge plus.

I also like Ebay, I have purchased tons of stuff and never had a problem. I always have a price cap on things that I buy though because you have to include shipping, which can be outrageous!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lakeview Quilting
I sell and buy on Etsy with no issues. Have not tried EBay since I heard they have a ton of fees for sellers.
Ebay does have lots of fees. But they also have more visibility than Etsy from what I've heard. I sell there (not quilting related) but it's becoming more of a hassle. I love buying on Ebay though :)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 PM

I don't buy often from Etsy. I do sell my crochet patterns there and I do just as well if not better there than on my business website.

I am planning to expand to other crafty sites similar to Etsy - like Artfire and whatnot. I have a growing list of possible places... having said that - I don't sell quilty stuff there - yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Looked at Etsy but never bought...buy lots on ebay
Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM

I have used Etsy a few times, I bought a lovely sock monkey and fabric and I do have loads of lovely items in my shopping basket on there waiting until I can afford them! I use Ebay a lot for fabric as there's a bigger selection so I can usually get more reasonable postage. If I wanted a finished item though I would always check Etsy first and probably not think about Ebay.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM

I haven't purchased from Etsy. I do "sell" there. Though, I rarely sell anything directly through Etsy. I most of my buyers are from craft shows and farmer's markets.

I do like that Etsy gives me a store front. I would probably sell more if I actually promoted things there. LOL!

I don't like to buy fabric online because I have thing about being to see it, touch it, etc. I will buy a known to me fabric or supply but can almost always find it less expensive elsewhere. I don't buy quilting patterns, so I have no experience with them.