Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on buying sewing machone

Blog Entries
    I am looking to purchase a extra sewing machine so my granddaughter can have something to sew on when she is here, that way I still get to sews too! I am looking at the brother 60 stitch computerized sewing machine CS-6000i, cost $169.00 comes with quite a lot. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Spelled machine wrong in the title....lol. Can't edit that, sorry.

I am not familiar with that machine. I got both of my DD (when they were in their early teens) Janome Gems.

I know Brothers are well thought of machines. The price seems pretty easy to bear too!

Blog Entries
    Yea price is an important factor for me.

I've got one, and love it...great little machine :)

My BIL girlfriend has one, she loves it. I have 2 other models love both. I say go for it

What kind of sewing do you think your granddaughter will do?

If she's a beginner, she might be fine with the most simple/cheapest machine you can buy.

If you expect her to expand her skills, then a machine with more flexibility makes sense.

If you know she's "hooked," you may want to invest in a fine machine she can take with her into adulthood.

FWIW, I have had bad experiences with plastic/made-in-a-developing-country sewing machines. (Sorry, but this includes the Brother CS-6000i.) They just don't hold up well under serious use. But if your granddaughter's use will be light and you don't care if the machine accompanies her into adulthood, the Brother may be a fine choice. (Unless I'm thinking of a different model, Consumers' Report gave it very good review several years ago.)

On the other hand, if you want do want to buy a machine she can take with her, I encourage you to buy a non-plastic/non-3rd-world-made machine, even though they're way more expensive. One way to minimize their cost is to buy an older one on at an estate sale, on Craig's List, or on eBay. I'm convinced that an old Bernina is a better long term investment than a plastic machine

Just my humble opinion, of course.

I started with a Brother my DD bought for me at Walmart. It was the bottom of the line. I used it daily for three years and it is still my backup machine. I say go for it.

That is an excellent starter machine. Many people love it.

My brother dealer has told me that their Walmart machines are not comparable to their dealer line, but it sews and quilts well for the price.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    buy her a singer 99 off ebay..simple to use, can't really mess it up, easy to up keep and will sew forever!

I have Brothers from the simple to complex and love them all. Let her try the machines and see if she is comfortabel using them.

Blog Entries
    I chose that model for my friend who wants to get 'back into sewing'. It comes with a needle threader and a table, plus it's lightweight. Although, I don't have the machine Pattern Review owners gave it good reviews. Search for it here as there has been threads mentioning that model.

I bought this exact machine for my neice and one for my grandaughter. I had one and liked it alot (eventually I gave mine to a friend who is learning to quilt). The price is good, lots of stitches and easy to use. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think the best route is to buy a used, older machine. If you can get your hands on an vintage Singer 400 or 500 series, your grand daughter can use and abuse it and it will keep on ticking. You should be able to find one near you for $50 or so. Cheaper and much better built so, it 's a win-win.

I'd go on ebay, look for a good seller, buy an older Viking or name brand machine. I don't trust the Walmart machines because I got burned on a Brother serger. It's still in the closet if anyone wants it! I bought a Viking I could afford when I started sewing and it's a wonderful machine that I've had for over 20 years. Never had it in the shop. They are workhorses. They're just my preference and others have theirs. Try out the one you think you want. You'll know!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I think the best route is to buy a used, older machine. If you can get your hands on an vintage Singer 400 or 500 series, your grand daughter can use and abuse it and it will keep on ticking. You should be able to find one near you for $50 or so. Cheaper and much better built so, it 's a win-win.
    I wish I could, I have been searching craigs list and local paper, so far no luck.

I bought that Brother 3 years ago to take a quilting class. It still works great and is small and light enough to take to classes. And the price is right.

Blog Entries
    i got a lesser brother for under $100 and i am happy with it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by athomenow
    I'd go on ebay, look for a good seller, buy an older Viking or name brand machine. I don't trust the Walmart machines because I got burned on a Brother serger. It's still in the closet if anyone wants it! I bought a Viking I could afford when I started sewing and it's a wonderful machine that I've had for over 20 years. Never had it in the shop. They are workhorses. They're just my preference and others have theirs. Try out the one you think you want. You'll know!
    Is your Viking a 940 by any chance? That's what I have, and it's never given me any problem, nor has it ever been in the shop for anything. :thumbup: One of these days maybe I'll pamper it, and take it in for a "day at the spa" so she can come home all fresh and ready to go! She probably could use a good going-over!

A good friend of mine wanted a second machine to take to classes. I suggested to look on Overstock.com as I had seen refurbished Janomes there for $100. She went to the big O...she bought one..... and she is THRILLED.

The End...

lol

I know a lot of people roll their eyes at us Bernina lovers, but I urge you to look on Craigslist for an old Bernie. There aren't a lot around, but if you're lucky enough to find one, it's a fabulous investment and a joy to use. Otherwise, a vintage Singer 301 would be a good choice. When you say "grand daughter", I assume her sewing needs aren't anything fancy, just a good straight stitch with, perhaps, feed dogs that drop? I've heard so many horror stories about the new less expensive machines having issues shortly after purchase, that I would be cautious. Just my opinion. :)

Hi Kathy,

I bought that exact machine a few years ago. It is a great little machine. I since bought a Janome, but I still use use my little Brother for travel and as a 2nd machine. It is very light weight. My LQS uses several of these in her sewing/quilting classes and she speaks highly of them as well.
    good luck in your decision,
    ava

check out Janome, you get more bang for your buck. It's a quality machine that never needs oil.

I have been watching these machines on e-bay so I can get one. They have new ones there and cheeper than that, some with free shipping.

i have a little jamome gem take to quilting classes in town so i dont have to take my big machine and i just love it.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy her a used one.....Craigs list or Ebay. You could get a real nice one for what you'd pay for a newbie. Lucky you to have a granddaughter to teach. She'll remember it forever!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast