Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions on sewing table or cabinet brands >

Need opinions on sewing table or cabinet brands

Need opinions on sewing table or cabinet brands

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Need opinions on sewing table or cabinet brands

I would like some opinions on sewing cabinets or tables, please. I want to get one for my machine and have been looking at the Horn cabinets and at the Arrow cabinets so far. I would prefer that it has locking wheels so that I could move it when necessary. Any advice?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 PM

I have a Horn that has locking wheels and I love it because I pull out the cabinet and face the living room when I sew. I did have a hole drilled into the side for the power cord of my machine so it would be easier to access. I'd do this with any cabinet though.

Koala's are also good.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 AM

Which model do you have?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 AM

I love my Horn Quilter's Dream. I don't know how I ever got along without it! It is a big cabinet, particularly when it's all opened out, but if you have the space, it is totally worth it. However, I need a second table now, and since I've already bought a new machine, and about to buy another one, I am considering buying a table from Ikea instead of another expensive cabinet.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM

I have a sewing table and a cutting table from the Gristmill Collection. It is solid wood and looks lovely as well as being practical. The price was comparable to the Horn furniture, which I believe is made from particle board. My cutting table is one of a kind, built to meet my personal needs.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 AM

I really like the quiltmate plus from Koala. I don't have mine yet as I am getting it for my birthday but when I looked at it in the store it was nice and solid and had locking wheels. It is a more expensive option but I like the quality a lot.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM

I have two tables I purchased at Staples. One is six foot and the other 4. My husband was kind enough to cut the legs down on the 4 foot one to make it only 28" high. That allows me to use my slide on clear extension table with my Bernina Artista 185 perfectly. The space under the clear extension table is great for storing my accesories like bobbins and feet etc. They are totally visible but out of the way. The 18 inches to the right of the machine allow plenty of space for my pin cushion, and other useful notions as well as a small three drawer plastic storage unit that holds thread etc. etc.
Underneath the table to the right side is a larger plastic drawer unit that holds additional thread and sewing tools that come in handy. I made a skirt to hide the stuff under the table by attaching stick on velcro on the back and right side of the table and attaching a curtin that hides all the stuff from anyone walking into the room. I also purchased a swivel office chair from Staples and use it when sewing. Behind my sewing machine set up I have another table from Staples. This one is six feet and holds both of my stand alone embroidery machines. Underneath are three more of the plastic storage units filled with various accessories for the embroidery machines like hoops, stablilizers and thread of course. I can access those two machines from my same rolling chair just by turning around. In the space inbetween I have a small side table that holds my Serger. All of this fits into a space 8 1/2 ft by 6 1/2 ft. I probably have less than $300 tied up in all of that. My main cutting surface is downstairs in my basement stash room. I use a former bedroom dresser for a cutting and ironing surface. The drawers underneath make great storage. I have also made use of the vertical storage space above the cutting area and the table holding the embroidery machines by hanging open shelves that hold a lot of sewing and quilting related supplies. Once I figure out how to post a photo and have the area cleaned up I will try and post some pictures.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM

I have Koala an I love it! It was expensive, but best quality! I now can have my machines set up and ready to go when I am, which is every day
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I have a sewing table and a cutting table from the Gristmill Collection. It is solid wood and looks lovely as well as being practical. The price was comparable to the Horn furniture, which I believe is made from particle board. My cutting table is one of a kind, built to meet my personal needs.

I have a Horn, and it is not made of particle board. It's solid wood, weighs a ton.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have a Horn, and it is not made of particle board. It's solid wood, weighs a ton.

Hmm, one of my LQS carries the Horn brand and it isn't solid wood, at least the tops aren't real wood. I think they're laminate. I wonder if they sell different types? Oh well, it's nice that we can all find what works best for us!