Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quick help with a disappearing nin patch >

Need quick help with a disappearing nin patch

Need quick help with a disappearing nin patch

Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Need quick help with a disappearing nin patch

I am starting a D9P with a Yellow/gray/black 'spark'print that will be the center square in the block-the other squares are black and white prints. My question is? What would happen if I made the blocks with the center square always the yellow spark print and if I rearranged the other squares in different blocks...or...should I always maintain the same square arrangement in all the blocks before they are cut into 4 squares? Need a reply quickly if anyone can help? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM

I think it depends on what you want to achieve. Keeping all the blocks the same would be a lovely formal quilt. My Grand d and I just finished a 9p she pieced from some of her little girl clothes. Its a more scrappy quilt but it looks lovely too. All of our fabric wasn't the same so it really is apple and oranges . I'm not an artist, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM

I have done this pattern 3 times and loved it! In each one I kept the color placement the same, that is the white always in the center spots around the outside and always the same in the very center block - maybe switching the corners out. This very center one is the one that gets cut up the smallest and pops up all over. The whites in this position become almost spinning rectangles (probably not the best description) and the corner colors remain the original size and shape. All of that being said I've seen several that are scrappy, changing the squares out all over but I THINK with a consistent center. They are really nice, too. No matter what you do, I'm betting you'll be happy!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM

I have done one with the center square constant, but all the other squares different. I really like the way it turned out. Used precut charms so the fabrics all go together but are all different. Either way, it makes a fun quilt.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM

My Quilt has 9 different fabrics with all black& white EXCEPT the center square which has yellow,white, gray and black--it is the one that gets cut 4 ways so becomes the little accent block thru out. I am just talking about rearranging the placement of the other 8 squares in each block....not using different fabrics. So far I have sewm 5 blocks and I think I am going to like it. I was thinking that if I rearranged the other squares in some blocks, the quilt would not be as formal and might be more interesting but since it is going to be a wedding gift, I don't want to mess up.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Make a small version with 2 inch blocks and test it out. I think all D9P quilts turn out great
Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Yellow might be the perfect choice for the center squares, it always seems to pop when I use it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks for your replies-makes me feel more confident as this is the first D9P I have made. I do want it to turn our nicely and be special for DGD.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM

There is a nice variety of D9P's in the QB photo Gallery. Take a look & see if you find an arrangement you like.