Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need quiling idea >

need quiling idea

need quiling idea

Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Default need quiling idea

for a Carpenters Star. Saw a beautiful one in blue and white here on the board. Copied part of it but it has so much white, I don't know what to do. I am not very good at fmq, so it needs to be somewhat simple and not too dense of quilting. But, I may give drag queen feathers a try. X fingers.
Thanks for any ideas, Linda
Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Stitch straight stitches following the outline of each diamond and continue echoing. Depending on the size of you quilt, the lines could be a half an inch apart or wider.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM

The only way to get better at FMQ is to practice. I think it would look fine with a basic meander. Leah Day has a bunch of Beginner FMQ designs to check out:
http://www.leahday.com/projectdifficulty1/

You could try out some different designs in the different parts of the star, or the Super Spiral might look nice. If you pick a nice thin thread like Aurifil 50wt/2ply cotton, the quilting lines will blend in with the fabric much more. If you do quilt the white areas & blue areas using 2 different FMQ patterns, you could even change the thread color from white to a blue and it is bound to look nice. Every quilter has to start somewhere.

Oooh.... just saw a video with those feathers. Those are super cool & do not look like a beginner level at all! Wish the video was clearer & actually showed the quilting so I could learn to do that, but it's cool nonetheless. Definitely need to post pics when you finish!

Last edited by Bree123; 07-18-2015 at 12:16 PM.