Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting ideas for modern quilt >

Need quilting ideas for modern quilt

Need quilting ideas for modern quilt

Old 03-24-2017, 02:12 PM

Look up Angela Walters, Quilting is my Therapy. She is a long arm quilter, designs modern looking quilts and has a relaxed, refreshing approach to quilting. Her approach is good for LA and dsm quilting. Looking at your pretty quilt makes me think you would enjoy her work. She also has youtube videos of course and a neat little quilt shop in Liberty, Mo.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:28 PM

I LOVE your quilt! I've sketched out a bit of a quilting idea. I would ditch the pieced part of the star, and around the outside of it. I would then quilt a "suggestion" of the pieced pattern into the blank star points, using a wavy line instead of straight. Use your favourite curvy fill for the background (stippling, pebbles, swirls, McTavishing, etc.). The contrast between the straight lines in the pieced part, the almost-straight in the blank points, and the curves in the background will complement the piecing.

I sketched in a "track", showing how the pieced point is being "inserted" into the star. I think this adds an element of motion, but I'm not sure I like it now that I drew it out... I'll let you decide how you feel about that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570324[/ATTACH]

I have done a couple quilts where I did most of the quilting on a longarm, then went back and used my walking foot to do straight lines. You could probably do that here to avoid ruler work.
Attached Thumbnails quilting.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM

I suggest trying over at Machine Quilters Resource. Its a group of machine quilters. After you set up a user name and pass word, look in the Forums for Design help. There are a couple ladies over there that will draw all over your quilt picture and give you great ideas! ask me how I know! You can also do a search for ideas. Lots of eye candy!

www.mqresource.com
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

i'll be interested to see how you quilt this one. very modern looking. love the colors
Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 PM

love that quilt! Check out Angela Walters, Krista Withers and Kylee Porter. Angela rarely uses rulers except on diagonal straight lines--I frankly try to avoid those! Krista would tell you to divide that negative space up into more manageable spaces and uses a mix of straight lines and curves. Kylee Porter does some awesome FMQ stuff that just seems to flow. You'll see a lot of Withers & Porters work on Pinterest to see what I mean. All 3 do pretty dense quilting.

I like your ideas with the exception of the clamshells in the background. I'd probably do something to divide up the space and use some contrasts (i.e. straight lines next to spirals, etc). PLEASE post a picture when you are finished quilting!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM

If you want to look at that quilt right side up, right click on it. Then click on "view image". It comes up right side up, although with this one it doesn't make that much difference. It's just more calming when you look at the right way.
I love that pattern.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Ok, this is feeling like a plan. A combination of ideas from here, some web searching (Angela Waters inspired the border), the MQ forum that Beth mentioned and some really bad photoshop skills I'll post real photos when the quilt is done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570379[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails star.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 AM

looks like a great plan! Can't wait to see when its done!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM

I did it! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Here's what I ended up with. My plan is to continue the "unfinished" theme, and bind 2 edges (the ones with the swirl border) and face the other 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570426[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3261001.jpg   p3261005.jpg   p3261007.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 04:52 AM

Wow, great job! What a difference the quilting makes