Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting suggestions >

Need quilting suggestions

Need quilting suggestions

Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Need quilting suggestions

I had a bunch of extra 4-patches which I put together into this baby quilt. I would like to quilt it on my DSM but I'm not too advanced at quilting, I mostly do piecing. Does anyone have any suggestions about how they would quilt it? I was thinking maybe crosshatching in the white areas but wasn't sure if that was a beginner pattern.

Please ignore the line across the white, it is remaining marking pen that I decided not to use and will wash out! The quilt will be squared up before I quilt it.
Attached Thumbnails flimsy.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM

You could definitely do cross hatching. You need either a walking foot or a dual feed foot. You want to set your stitch length to 3mm.

If I were quilting it, instead of cross hatching, I'd probably stitch the lines so that each little section has parallel lines going different directions, and maybe the bigger sections I'd split into 2 or 3 subsections & then follow that same design of parallel lines alternating directions by section.

Really adorable quilt! Can't wait to see it quilted!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM

what a cute quilt! I like Bree123's ideas---and the straight lines don't even have to be uniform distant from each other to really look modern!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:44 AM

Square it up after you quilt it.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

This quilt to me screams "modern". I agree with Bree, lots of closely spaced parallel lines going in different directions in each of the big white areas (also known as negative space). Google images of modern quilting or modern quilting in negative space and you will see loads of examples. It is super easy to do and will give the quilt fabulous texture.

You could also try your hand at breaking up the area using Angela Walters tile quilting technique if you want to get adventurous. http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/p...ilting-design/
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I agree with all the above. Just become a Picasso with parallel lines complimenting your four patches.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:23 AM

How about radiating lines in some of the areas, crosshatching in the others and maybe throw in a stippling/meander in another.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Whatever you do, please post a picture when finished. I love the ideas already suggested. On my "to do" list is something similar. Just want to quilt lines or even curved lines all over at least one quilt.

Love your quilt! Very fresh and modern.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
This quilt to me screams "modern". I agree with Bree, lots of closely spaced parallel lines going in different directions in each of the big white areas (also known as negative space). Google images of modern quilting or modern quilting in negative space and you will see loads of examples. It is super easy to do and will give the quilt fabulous texture.

You could also try your hand at breaking up the area using Angela Walters tile quilting technique if you want to get adventurous. http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/p...ilting-design/
totally agree with the above! As soon as I saw it I *saw* close parallel lines, different directions for each of the white spaces. Leave the chain unquietly (except perhaps to outline only).
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 PM

What a creative use of leftover 4 patches! Love the quilting suggestions.