Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting tips >

Need quilting tips

Need quilting tips

Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Mimom, I love your guitar bear@@@@ My DH is a guitarist and that would make a nice quilt for our bed!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mimom
never start a new project if you have one already started.
This would never work for me either! I always have several projects going at the same time. One quilt that I am working on I am piecing by hand and that one I work on only when traveling and camping. I have been working on this several years, and it will probably take a couple more years, but I figure that is time used quilting and not wasted.

I am making a "summer" quilt for our bed, but that one got put on the back burner while I make a baby quilt for our new grandbaby who is due in May.

Sometimes I get started on one quilt and I get bored with it, or find I am having trouble with it and I just need to walk away from it for a while and come back a couple months later and look at it with fresh eyes.

So I always have several quilting projects going at once.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Originally Posted by mimom
never start a new project if you have one already started.
This would never work for me either! I always have several projects going at the same time. One quilt that I am working on I am piecing by hand and that one I work on only when traveling and camping. I have been working on this several years, and it will probably take a couple more years, but I figure that is time used quilting and not wasted.

I am making a "summer" quilt for our bed, but that one got put on the back burner while I make a baby quilt for our new grandbaby who is due in May.

Sometimes I get started on one quilt and I get bored with it, or find I am having trouble with it and I just need to walk away from it for a while and come back a couple months later and look at it with fresh eyes.

So I always have several quilting projects going at once.
There was an interesting article about this by Erica Spinks in the February 2011 issue of Downunder Quilts. If you haven't discovered the online version of this magazine yet got to
http://www.creativelivingmedia.com.au
Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM

When cutting with a rotary cutter, wear shoes and watch your left hand to make sure a finger isn't in the cut area. Mitered corners are not that hard just learn to do them. Mitered borders are a bit harder.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Another tip that I love is to thread a bunch of betweens and leave them on the spool. Pull a length of thread with one needle as you need it, cut the thread and continue quilting. I thread several when I have my contacts out and can actually see the hole in the needle. Saves time and frustration.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I have read so many topics on this board and have enjoyed them. But I can't decide which one is best. I signed up for "tips on quilting" for our next local get-together. Would some of you please send me your "favorite tip". I really would appreciate it. This board is the greatest thing and I read it daily. Thanking you for your "tips".
Here's an entire thread dedicated to that topic:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-106276-1.htm