Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Need Recommendation for Seam Ripper!!

  1. #1
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok, here's my issue. I have one little red seam ripper that I love because it is petite and has a thin blade...hate those thick blade ones. I'm scared that I'm gong to lose it and not have a replacement! :) So I'm looking for a back-up. I have tiny hands and also have fibro so need something that is easy to hold and comfortable, too. I like the short ones because I can handle them better.

    Which one would you all recommend????

  2. #2
    Super Member quiltsillysandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,138
    For me, I love the Clover with the brown, flat handle, has a smaller, thinner blade, that makes it easier to get under your stitches.....

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BFB2NRD9FP1WH2

  3. #3
    Super Member merry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    For me, I love the Clover with the brown, flat handle, has a smaller, thinner blade, that makes it easier to get under your stitches.....

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BFB2NRD9FP1WH2

    Me too :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    I don't use a seam ripper at all. They're for clothing construction. I use a pair of Havel Snip Eze. <http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/hasnsc1.html> You snip a stitch about every 3 to 5 stitches on one side only and pull the thread out on the other side. It's much faster and much neater plus it doesn't distort your pieces.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by merry
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    For me, I love the Clover with the brown, flat handle, has a smaller, thinner blade, that makes it easier to get under your stitches.....

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BFB2NRD9FP1WH2

    Me too :thumbup:
    Me three....

  6. #6
    Super Member AliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,886
    I love my little Bohn seam ripper. The blade folds into the handle so I can put it in my pocket and not hurt myself. It is brightly colored so I can easily find it.

    I found it with an online search. Occassionally is will be at a booth at our yearly Quilt, Sew, & Craft Festival put on by Rusty Barn Promotions.

    ali

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Me "four". Second choice is the Bohn. Both are flat so they don't roll off the table.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pratt Kansas
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    3
    whatever you do, DO NOT buy the pink and white Singer brand one.

    The blade is too wide to slip under a stitch. If you do happen to get a thread hooked, the sharp part is in an odd place, not at the base of the V.

    However, it is a great "pusher" to guide things while sewing.

    I like my Fons & Porter one, but the lid does not stay on. It is larger, ergonomic, so my fibro fingers do not get stressed and achey so quickly. And the red color makes it easy to spot in my tangle.

  9. #9
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    I broke the pink and white singer one in under ten minutes lol. I have the little red ones too. They are my favorite. I got a few from another member on here. Along with breaking the pink and white one I bought another one the next day, can't remember what it was but it broke immediately. I say stick with the little red guy!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,381
    My very, very favorite one was given to me by my sister. It's a Bernina seam ripper and you can find them at a Bernina shop. I've had mine for a couple of years and it's still sharp.

  11. #11
    Senior Member lyndaloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    725
    Me Five! I also have little hands and fibro.

  12. #12
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sounds like the "red one" is a winner...err...or should I say "brown one"!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Ok, here's my issue. I have one little red seam ripper that I love because it is petite and has a thin blade...hate those thick blade ones. I'm scared that I'm gong to lose it and not have a replacement! :) So I'm looking for a back-up. I have tiny hands and also have fibro so need something that is easy to hold and comfortable, too. I like the short ones because I can handle them better.

    Which one would you all recommend????
    I use a #12 disposable scalpel. The blade is thinner than a razor blade and it is mounted on a lightweight plastic handle. The blade is crescent shaped with the inner curve sharp and the tip is thin and pointed enough to slide under a stitch in a seam that was sewn at 20+ stitches to the inch. They come with a little plastic cap that fits over the blade. Among the intended uses is suture removal.

    They stay sharp for a lot of ripping. As soon as I feel any effort at all in cutting thread, I put it in my sharps container and open a new one (they come in boxes o9f 10 or 25). They are usually around $0.40 to $0.50 apiece.

    You MUST be careful about how you rip with them because they are really sharp. They're scalpels! Like you, I have fibro so for me it's worth it to pay a little closer attention than it is to have to use more muscle power with less attention.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    294
    I forgot to add how I use the scalpel to rip.

    I hold the seam closed and only cut the thread on one side. I slide the tip of the scalpel under every third or fourth stitch and then just turn the scalpel upwards slightly. The edge is so sharp, that's all the effort it takes to slice through the stitch.

    Then I turn the seam over, take hold of the uncut thread and pull gently. If I've done it right, the uncut thread just slides right out without pulling or wrinkling the fabric. I use masking tape sticky side out over my finger to grab the cut threads on the other side. If it doesn't slide out with a gentle pull, then I go back to the original side and cut a lot more stitches.

    This causes the least amount of fabric damage possible. Even fine silks can be ripped this way leaving only the needle holes (which can often be steamed out). On cotton, once what used to be the seam allowance has been pressed flat again, there's usually no sign at all that it had ever been stitched.

  15. #15
    Super Member OHSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I don't use a seam ripper at all. They're for clothing construction. I use a pair of Havel Snip Eze. <http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/hasnsc1.html> You snip a stitch about every 3 to 5 stitches on one side only and pull the thread out on the other side. It's much faster and much neater plus it doesn't distort your pieces.
    I second this one.

  16. #16
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    For me, I love the Clover with the brown, flat handle, has a smaller, thinner blade, that makes it easier to get under your stitches.....

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BFB2NRD9FP1WH2
    I like that one and also the Clover seam ripper with the round white handle. I have some of each, at least 1 with every treadle.

  17. #17
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne
    I forgot to add how I use the scalpel to rip.

    I hold the seam closed and only cut the thread on one side. I slide the tip of the scalpel under every third or fourth stitch and then just turn the scalpel upwards slightly. The edge is so sharp, that's all the effort it takes to slice through the stitch.

    Then I turn the seam over, take hold of the uncut thread and pull gently. If I've done it right, the uncut thread just slides right out without pulling or wrinkling the fabric. I use masking tape sticky side out over my finger to grab the cut threads on the other side. If it doesn't slide out with a gentle pull, then I go back to the original side and cut a lot more stitches.

    This causes the least amount of fabric damage possible. Even fine silks can be ripped this way leaving only the needle holes (which can often be steamed out). On cotton, once what used to be the seam allowance has been pressed flat again, there's usually no sign at all that it had ever been stitched.
    Hmmm, maybe #2 son can get me several of these to try...he's a doc!! He brought me several of the instruments with all the different shaped tips. I love them!!

  18. #18
    Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,811
    Blog Entries
    2
    I, too, love my Clover with it's brown handle. I've had it for at least 15 years. Need to get a new one! They do get dull over time & use. :-(

  19. #19
    Senior Member misscarol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    883
    I love the Fons & Porter seam ripper. The lid doesn't stay on, but I can live with that.

  20. #20
    Senior Member quiltbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    For me, I love the Clover with the brown, flat handle, has a smaller, thinner blade, that makes it easier to get under your stitches.....

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BFB2NRD9FP1WH2
    I really love this one also.

  21. #21
    Junior Member happyjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    150
    I have bought a gingher seam ripper with retractable blade off ebay. I used it for the first time today and love it!

  22. #22
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,688
    Tiny purple one i bought at micheals is awesome

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    league city, texas
    Posts
    655
    i like my little cheap one from joanns, but i use my snips more often!!...

  24. #24
    Super Member alwayslearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by misscarol
    I love the Fons & Porter seam ripper. The lid doesn't stay on, but I can live with that.
    I had one also that I loved. Went to put the cap on recently and had it at a slight angle. It destroyed the the longer part of the ripper with less force than pushing back a wisp of hair off the forehead. something terribly wrong there. And I had just recommended it to several others.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort White, Fl
    Posts
    2,673
    Blog Entries
    1
    I buy mine at walmart for less than 2 dollars and love them. They are small enough to use and the right size for me. I keep one in every sewing area and if I lose one I can afford a new one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.