Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need recommendations >

Need recommendations

Need recommendations

Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Need recommendations

Needing recommendations for 1/4 foot and SITD foot and Walking foot for OS Bernina 830.

Generic 1/4 foot? adapter with snap on feet? Walking foot with soles? plain Walking foot?

Any feedback/recommendations/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
It seems to me the previous owner of my newly acquired machine was a seamstress, not a quilter.

Jo Anne
Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM

I don't have a Bernini so can't speak for the machine - but I have all three for my Janome MC6600P. I bought the Janome brand for it. I also have a small Europro that travels with me and I bought the generic adapter for it - it also fits my little FW. Have to admit I have only used my small machines for piecing so the Walking foot is rarely used.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Walking foot definitely get the Bernina one but expect to go into sticker shock. It is super expensive. I saw your post in pictures so I'm not sure if this machine takes the older style feet or the newer ones. A bernina dealer will be able to tell you and order in the proper foot.

I use my quarter inch foot more than any other, I would probably go name brand on that as well. But also spendy, not as bad as the walking foot though.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

I don't think there is a generic walking foot that works on a Bernina. I think the Bernina walking foot costs about $139.00. Try lining up and measuring for the 1 /4" seam, you may not need a separate foot. Use it for a while before deciding if you need a stitch in the ditch foot.
Have you posted these questions in the Vintage and Antique Sewing Machines forum? The old style 830 and 930 are still highly prized.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM

elnan--No I haven't, I'll try there too. I knew prices related to Bernina were higher, and yet still experiencing some sticker shock..
Just hope I love this machine to the moon and back a couple of times!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM

I have a Bernina 350. I got a #37 (37D) Patchwork foot and also the Patchwork Seam Guide -- seriously worth every penny! Here's what it looks like: http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ork-seam-guide
It screws into my machine bed to make a hard edge along which to feed my quilt for a consistent seam (can set at 1/4" or up to 7/8" depending on how you set it up). Plus, the seam guide is only like $19 which is amazingly cheap for Bernina.

The Walking Foot #50 comes with 3 different sole plates so you don't need to choose ahead of time. My personal preference is the open-toed foot so I can see my ditch. I don't have good luck with the one with the center guide in it, but I use very thick cotton batting & my Bernina dealer said that may be the root of the problem.

On my Singer I buy almost all 3rd party parts. For my Bernina, as much as I nearly stop breathing when I see the prices (especially on the walking foot), genuine Bernina parts actually do seem to make a difference.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 PM

The seam guide and the accompanying screw were in the red box. Woo Hoo!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 PM

I have a bernina 440 nq.i would save my money and buy the correct feet for your machine as I don't think generic fit a bernina. I have brother machine and janome and husqvana Viking and they are not interchangeable with my bernina.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM

Yes, it will be a while before I invest in a genuine Walking foot. It sounds like it could cost more than the machine.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 AM

A walking foot only works because of the precision of the foot in tandem with the feed dog. Therefore, you must have the proper foot. I have BERNINA machines and know that success comes with BERNINA feet. Save your money until you can afford the proper foot. I think you are referencing the 'old style' 830. If that is the case look on Ebay for a walking foot. Generally you can buy lots of parts there. I have a patchwork foot, #37. It should not be very expensive because there are no moving parts.