Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a sewing table >

Need a sewing table

Need a sewing table

Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 AM

I found a great table on Craigslist and DH and I cut a hole in it for the sewing machine. We had to put a shelf under it to support it but it left lots of working room. It cost us $20.00 and a few hours of sweat equity and it is in great shape. Ann in TN
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 AM

If you have an IKEA near you, check out their desktops at the discount area. Have someone add legs to make the desktop the right height for sewing. Then cut out a rectangle for your machine and with metal braces add a shelf underneath to hold your sewing machine. It will put your sewing machine at an even level with the top of the shelf and you will have lots of table space around your machine to support your project.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 AM

I found a sew machine cabinet w/o machine for $15, with drawer and it's just perfect for a small area to put my FW on top....then i got an small, portable iron board for $2 at flea market that can be standing on side when not in use. But what auntpigglin suggested is a really nice one.....
Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 AM

I use a plastic table that folds in the middle from Home Depot or Lowes. It's about 6' long. It's sturdy, light, easy to store and move around.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by MamaO2011
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have this table and have been really happy with it!

http://www.amazon.com/American-Cherr...8372245&sr=8-1
I actually saw this desk on WalMart's website for $119 - good to hear a positive real world review!
I have this table as well. Got it at Walmart. Love it!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 AM

I bought (2) matching student desks from World Market (Cost Plus).. got them for $99 each on sale. They work great back to back. I have cutting table on one side and great sewing surface on the other. A great, low cost solution and they match and look great.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 AM

I found a tutorial on You Tube that a lady made a table out of styroform insulation. I liked it because you can cut it so you have a flat surface on which to sew. i got a 2 in and a 1 in thickness at Home Depot and my husband showed me how to use jigsaw to cut the opening. I traced around my machine and I put a piece of vinyl over it so fabric would slide. I now have a 5X4 ft surface on which to quilt. I love it. You can make it any size you want. I have mine on a portable table from walmart.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM

You can get the metal tables in 4 ft and 6 ft dice for about $30.00 to 50.00 and they work great as I have a 4 foot one. Belva Stratton
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 AM

I had this table (purchased from Walmart) and used it for several years. I'm short and we took off the wheels to make it a bit more ergonomic. If you are taller, the table will be a better fit.

It has excellent worktop space and can be folded up to take up less space when not in use.

It held up well. We decided recently to replace it was a more adjustable, ergonomic sewing table which I also like.

I miss the large work area to the left of the machine that I had with the Sauder table.

I think you will like it if you get it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Check out the resale shops for a desk with a center drawer. If hubby is handy he could make a shelf buy cutting the space out where the drawer is. You would then have a level sewing area and storage in rest of drawers.(Cut out desk top to fit machine)