Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a small sewing machine.... >

Need a small sewing machine....

Need a small sewing machine....

Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 AM

I've been looking for a small, light weight, durable sewing machine to take to classes, etc. I hate lugging around my Bernina 440QE -- it weighs a ton, it's mounted in a table and I'm always scared to death I'm gonna drop her or have a wreck with her in my van.

Bernina has a Bernette #56 on sale for $249.00. Has anyone used this machine? It has several stitches, 10 year warranty, and weighs about 15 lbs. (I have a bad back so weight is an important consideration.) I would only use this machine for classes and I can't tell you how often that would be. Right now I don't take many classes because I have to have help to get my machine up and down the stairs (sewing room on 2nd floor) and in and out of the van which just aggravates me to no end. I'm a little on the independent side....

I think the $249 is a little over the edge for no more use than this machine will receive -- so, does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I worked in a sewing machine dealership years ago and bought my Bernina 1230 at that time. I would not recommend a Bernette; they are just not powerful and are not made well.

Many people here have mentioned that the Janome Gem is a great portable machine for taking to classes.

Have you considered buying a used portable? Check all the dealerships around you. Some of the older small portable machines are really delightful, and they shouldn't cost $250. I found a cute little compact 1970's Singer for $25 in a thrift shop -- weighs about 12 pounds and comes enclosed in its own case that holds the foot pedal, etc.; however, you don't run across machines like this very often in thrift shops.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Sew - is that the cute little black one? My LQS has it on sale for $169 or $159 - I debated buying it for just that reason! But, I also want EQ6 or whatever it's called, so I can't justify the money right now. If you think it's worth it, I can buy it here and ship it to you??? Wonder what shipping would be?? Let me know if you want to do that!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I have a cheap Singer from Wall-mart, and it does great piecing. Is a portable, so easy to carry
Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I have the Janome Gem for classes. It's about five year old now and I have never had a problem with it. I bought my DGD a Hello Kitty 3/4 size machine and it is exactly like the Janome Gem only smaller. She loves it. Several guild members bought the Hello Kitty machine to bring to classes. It's fun and not a toy. The 1/2 size is a toy. I would certainly check out the Gem line of machines. The newer models have more features now. Check Kenmores, they are Janomes. The portables are identical.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 AM

I would like to second Bella's comments. Janome has just come out with a Jem Gold Plus, which I just bought. Not only is it small and light, it has a trim stitch section so doubles as a serger. So far, I'm loving it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Here are some links I found to the Hello Kitty (62 reviews):

http://www.target.com/Hello-Kitty-Se...76&searchSize=

the Janome Jem series:

http://www.sewingroom.com/jem.htm

and the Janome Jem Gold machine:

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome660jem.html

Also check reviews on these machines at http://www.patternreview.com

I think you will find that all of them cost less than the Bernette and get better reviews.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone! Wonderful info! The Janome Gem looks very interesting and the price on SewVac was $199 with free shipping....Now I just need to make up my mind! :D :?:

Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

If interested, I have a second sewing machine that works just fine. I just got one with more stitches. What would you be willing to pay for it?? And I don't know what the shipping would be either. You can let me know what you think, if you might be interested.
Thanxs
tarbender30
Old 11-01-2009, 10:38 AM

Here is a modern feather weight
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/singer132.html

don't forget to buy the quiltersaccessories 1/4 inch foot, walking foot and dtc

This one is under $200.