Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice - how to quilt this >

Need some advice - how to quilt this

Need some advice - how to quilt this

Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Default Need some advice - how to quilt this

I have finished the "stacks" quilt from Jenny Doan's website and I'm ready to quilt it. How would you accomplish the quilting on this. My quilt has tan instead of the white and jewel tone strips instead of fabric with patterns. I'm not sure how to quilt he tan and then transition into the jewel tones, what color thread to use. My machine doesn't like invisible thread at all which was my first choice.

Here is the video of the quilt I'm talking about in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDCzCKd_3I
Old 08-23-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Some of these modern quilts are difficult to decided how to quilt them. That is a lot of background. Sometimes I Google the quilt to see how others have quilted theirs. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Take a look at www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com to see if you want to add designs to the tan.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:18 AM

I'd go with a grey-beige throughout, possibly in a 50wt to blend in more.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

It has been my experience that a gold colored thread goes with just about everything. So does a sage green.

Another option you can consider is a very fine thread like invisifil from Wonderfil threads. It is a 90 wt polyester that sinks down into the fabric and reflects whatever color fabric it is sitting on. On the below quilt I used Invisifil in the sky which was many different shades of fabric. You don't see the thread at all, just the texture left behind by the quilting. I think I used a light sky blue color but can't remember for sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556608[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc05130.jpg  
Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

i would echo quilt along the curves of the stacks
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Take a look at www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com to see if you want to add designs to the tan.
I LOVE Judi Madsen's work!! That is my #1 stop for "modern quilting" inspiration. I've got several of her patterns waiting in line for my never-ending list of "quilts I want to make"!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
It has been my experience that a gold colored thread goes with just about everything. So does a sage green.

Another option you can consider is a very fine thread like invisifil from Wonderfil threads. It is a 90 wt polyester that sinks down into the fabric and reflects whatever color fabric it is sitting on. On the below quilt I used Invisifil in the sky which was many different shades of fabric. You don't see the thread at all, just the texture left behind by the quilting. I think I used a light sky blue color but can't remember for sure.
Mmmmm, love this quilt!!! and I will have to remember your recommendation on the InvisiFil thread.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post

Feline Fanatic! Love your quilting designs. Can you tell me if Invisifil thread is like bottom line thread from Superior threads? I am quilting with bottom line thread and it also disappears into the fabric so you only see the designs.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Feline Fanatic! Love your quilting designs. Can you tell me if Invisifil thread is like bottom line thread from Superior threads? I am quilting with bottom line thread and it also disappears into the fabric so you only see the designs.
Thanks Copycat. Invisifil is much finer than Bottom Line. Bottom Line is a 60wt. Invisfil is 100 Wt. (I mistakenly wrote 90 before) It is more comparable to silk. In fact many people use it to hand applique instead of silk. I love quilting with it.