Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Need some input

My daughter is setting up her first house and has asked for a white-on-white patchwork queen size quilt. I am stumped at what pattern to use and what fabrics. She doesn't want a whole cloth quilt. She doesn't want creams, just whites. What would you do?

Well, there are so many great fabrics out there that have beautiful white on white patterns, polka dots, leaves, flowers, stars, random designs. Here are to sites for you: http://www.equilter.com/category/262...white-on-white, http://www.beverlys.com/white-fabric.html
    Busy in Ohio

I would really like to see a photo of your quilt when it's done. It sounds as if it will be gorgeous, but perhaps frustrating to make (??). I know that for me it would be hard to keep the different white-on-whites straight and not get myself turned around and confused!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I would definitely ask her for more specific directions: pictures of similar quilts she can find; fabric she's like -- look on the internet and send you the links; describe the particular pattern she would want. Take her with you to a quilt store!

I'm betting the quilt she really wants *will* have some creams/off-whites in it, but to save you the frustration and hurt of her not loving the finished project, put the effort of the fabric selection on her.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    SuperJan took the words right out of my mouth.

You might also show her pictures of quilts that are white and cream so she can see how beautiful they are. I know Alex Anderson wrote a whole book about neutral quilts and they are gorgeous.

There are quite a few to be seen here also: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...utral%20quilts

More: https://www.google.com/search?q=neut...w=1138&bih=548

If she still insists on white-on-white, maybe something here will inspire you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=neutral+quilts&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o0RJVZaLGo2xyATUpYCgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1138&bih=548#tbm=isch&q=white+patchwork+quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I would definitely ask her for more specific directions: pictures of similar quilts she can find; fabric she's like -- look on the internet and send you the links; describe the particular pattern she would want. Take her with you to a quilt store!

I'm betting the quilt she really wants *will* have some creams/off-whites in it, but to save you the frustration and hurt of her not loving the finished project, put the effort of the fabric selection on her.

Jan in VA
    Excellent advice from Jan!!! I can't even picture an all white quilt unless it is a whole cloth one.
    Even using different white on white tonal fabrics, I don't think there would be enough contrast to show different quilt square patterns.. Or I don't have enough imagination to see it. Which is entirely possible..lol
    So Jan's idea is terrific.

I'd love to see whatever you do make.
    Kif
    Last edited by kiffie2413; 05-05-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I did a white on white log cabin. Loved it. It was a smaller on I did for family reunions. Everyone signed it but that would not what I'd want for a larger quilt. It took time but turned out great. Mine used 1 1/2" logs but it could be done with larger logs.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Some beautiful white on white out there. As everyone else has stated, have her carry some of the fabric choice burden.

Power Poster
    Somewhere on QB there was a link for adding surface textures with fabric. All white squares of fabric with pink tucks, lace, rushing etc. will look really nice. Take a look of all white antique French quilts to get some ideas too.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see this. sounds amazing to me. maybe tonal?
    I don't know to be honest with you. Jan has the right idea.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Thanks for your ideas

Wow, you all found a lot more pictures than I was able to. I have been playing with some hand embroidered flowers - white on white - and am thinking about incorporating these in the pattern. Also, am thinking about maybe a large medallion in the center that I could embroider to give it some interest.

Since all whites are not created equal, I am wondering if it will be cool that there are color variations or if you think it will look like some of the fabrics are dingy. Maybe I am over-thinking this.

Here are the flowers I made -
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with with Jan. Take her to a LQS to look at patterns and white tonal fabrics. Good Luck!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Well, I just made a top from this tutorial, and it was so much fun! My first attempt at using interfacing, and also my first applique. I was intimidated (as many are), because I saw curves, but honestly, it was one of the easiest I've made, and much more fun than making 8 million hsts. If you get the interfacing and the template she suggests in the video it's super easy. Anyway, this could work with using white on white fabric for the peels, and solid white for the background or visa versa. Or vary the styles of the white on white print, maybe floral for the 'focus fabric' and something like crosshatches or dots for the contrast.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...uilt-tutorial/
    Jenny B

By the way, your embroidery is really pretty, and you could do that in the spaces between the peels.
    Jenny B

Your embroidery is amazing. On my ipad, though, it looks like it was done with yarn. How big are your flowers?

hugs,
    Charlotte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
    Your embroidery is amazing, it looks like it was done with yarn.
    I'm thinking she did it with perle cotton.

A friend of mine has a vintage lone star quilt that is white on white and just gorgeous. When you start looking at white on whites you will find that they are slightly different in colors.

my dd is getting married this year. I tried very hard to get her to let me make her one of these: https://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs6876.shtml

she picked out some almost 30's colored mod prints. And a HST based pattern. It will be fine, but I still dream of the other one.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

White on white double Wedding ring quilt would be awesome. If you go to Kaye Woods tut, called Rings that bind, she has a very easy method of making it & you could incorporate your beautiful embroidery blocks, you have made, into it very easily. She also shows a few samples of white on white. Please check it out. You will be amazed how easy her method is. Also, the log cabin pattern would work nicely too. You could use your embroidery blocks as the center block & build around it. Good luck on what you decide & please send us pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
    I agree 100%! Have her choose the fabrics.

I would definitely have her select the fabrics. Sometimes white on white includes some creams and light tans and sometimes some gray-whites and you won't know if she means the whole range or just the whites with different textures. I think a double wedding ring with your embroidery featured would be wonderful.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Martha Pullen has created several all white, and all off white quilts. She is mostly known for her heirloom sewing, but she might just be the best way to find ideas to make tjis work. Think laces, trims, ribbons, etc to get texture for light and shadow. Bridal lace medalions come to mind......
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I did a small pillow with drapery fabric samples that was a variety of different patterns of cream color brocades in the quarter log cabin pattern. The "center" starting square was a contrasting color.

Do you have an embroidery machine? If so, how about one color background ( or various shades) with colored thread that are of one or more contrasting shades. Example: white on white background with tan embroidery thread. See link.
    http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/thum..._files/005.jpg

There are different "whites" even the brighest white (optic white) will vary from vendor to vendor. Not a big deal....it will add visual interest. Heck, mix it up with optic whites and cream whites but, yes, get her involved.perhaps pick up some fat quarters and do a test sew. Make a table runner! Also, your quilt shops can be very helpful with ideas. Get them involved in helping you with ideas, patterns etc.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast