Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 88

Thread: Need suggestions for a design wall

  1. #26
    Super Member JNCT14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT New Haven County
    Posts
    1,495
    Here is super easy - buy a wood towel rack at Home Depot or Lowes. Toss the dowel that comes with it. Buy a long wood dowel (the length you want to be able to slide the deign wall back and forth). Take a piece of inexpensive batting and cut to the width and height you want. Use clip on shower curtain rings at the top. Assemble the towel rack with the new dowel and mount it starting from behind a door in the room you want the design wall. Hang the batting with the clip on shower rings. This way you can leave it behind the door and slide it out when you need to, or roll it up like curtain, or unclip it, roll it and stash somewhere. Works really well.

  2. #27
    Super Member michelehuston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,043
    The folding thingy (words elude me as well) is an awesome idea!! I would never have thought of that!! Please let us know how it works out, because if it does, I may 'borrow' your idea!! A definate :thumbup:

  3. #28
    Senior Member supergma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sulphur Springs, Tx.
    Posts
    878
    Sounds like a plan to me. Let us know how it turns out. ;-)

  4. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,022
    Sounds like a great idea. A design wall is the one thing I don't have room for in my sewing room that I wish I had room for.

  5. #30
    Super Member cjaye44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,541
    Blog Entries
    16
    I say go for it! If that doesn't work for you, try something else. I have used flannel backed tablecloths, batting hung on a wall with push pins and now I have a light gray felt stapled on insulation boards and hung on the wall. I also made a couple of small boards the same way for blocks by the sewing machine to keep all those small pieces in the right order and not have to traipse back and forth. I just lean it on a chair by the machine. It's usually just a trial and error thing until you find what's right for you.

  6. #31
    Super Member JNCT14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT New Haven County
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by pieces
    Sounds like a great idea. A design wall is the one thing I don't have room for in my sewing room that I wish I had room for.
    Just FYI - I have a VERY small sewing room - only 10 x 12! I maximized everybit of wall space I could to fit everything in and I REALLY wanted a design wall. Here's some pictures of what I did (my dad built the sewing cabinets, gotta love him....)

    Design board
    Name:  Attachment-178105.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  44.1 KB

    Design Wall
    Name:  Attachment-178106.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  30.2 KB

    Cutting table
    Name:  Attachment-178107.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  34.3 KB

    Ironing board and machines
    Name:  Attachment-178108.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  45.2 KB

  7. #32
    Senior Member 3TreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, CANADA
    Posts
    608
    I believe it's a science project display board, anyway doesn't matter what it's called! I like that idea so much that I am going to go get one today!

    I love the creativity of this post and the people on this board!

    Thanks!

    TreeFrog

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Silverlake, WA
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am going to try using a vinyl rolldown shade for a display wall. My 'thought' is to take a flannel backed table cloth or a piece of thin batting and stick it to the vinyl shade. That way I can roll it up/down as needed. I haven't figured out how I'll 'stick it' yet, but my thought is with some sort of glue.

    My sewing room is in a spare bedroom so I am in search of a very wide shade to go across the top of the closet. I'll have my dad build a nice shelf (or whatever) to hide the shade when it's not in use.

    Do you think it would work?

  9. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    218
    Sounds like a great idea can't wait to see pics.

  10. #35
    Super Member JNCT14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT New Haven County
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by blhaines
    I am going to try using a vinyl rolldown shade for a display wall. My 'thought' is to take a flannel backed table cloth or a piece of thin batting and stick it to the vinyl shade. That way I can roll it up/down as needed. I haven't figured out how I'll 'stick it' yet, but my thought is with some sort of glue.

    My sewing room is in a spare bedroom so I am in search of a very wide shade to go across the top of the closet. I'll have my dad build a nice shelf (or whatever) to hide the shade when it's not in use.

    Do you think it would work?
    I thought about that one but I was afraid all the pieces of fabric would get crunched or just fall off. Spray glue should work great to stick the batting to the shade.

  11. #36
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,941
    Blog Entries
    7
    I used the box our new flat screen TV came in & covered it with some light fabric ( T- shirt type made in a tube) stretched over it.
    I have low ceilings in the upstairs ( was attic space) rooms. ;-)

  12. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    River Vale, NJ
    Posts
    2
    I bought a dowel, approximately 3/8 inch in diameter and then hung hooks on the wall. I will rest the dowel in the hook. I then took a black piece of fleece and sewed loops at the top to slide on the dowel. I can hang it when I need it and put it away when I don't.

  13. #38
    Super Member ksea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,635
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think it sounds like a really idea, please let us know what you think of it if you decide to try it.

  14. #39
    Super Member ksea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,635
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think it sounds like a really idea, please let us know what you think of it if you decide to try it.

  15. #40
    Super Member Evie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,767
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    While I was at Walmart today, I saw a tri-fold contraption (sorry, words escape me at the moment) board for displaying homework assignments or projects. Does is sound feasible to purchase one of those things, cover with a light solid colored flannel and use it to arrange your blocks? I think most cottons would hang on to the flannel very well. You would be able to fold it up when you are finished and store under a bed. Or lean against a wall to get it out of the way. When you are ready to use it again, your blocks would be ready to continue.

    ~Tonnie
    Tonnie, this is what I use for designing individual blocks and keeping the block pieces together while sewing. I made a flannel "envelope" for it from an old sheet, which launders easily when needed. It sits on a small table next to my sewing machine and, as you noted, can be folded and moved. I like that it was an inexpensive solution to my need.

  16. #41
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    I love my Design wall. First used an old piece of felt that covered one of my two door closet. worked great but I wanted BIGGER. So the next time at Joanns, purchased a two yard piece so my board would be 72 x 72". Well the new felt is terrible, nothing really sticks to it....so now have to find something else, will try flannel.

  17. #42
    Super Member IBQUILTIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Fork Ca
    Posts
    8,257
    Reallly great idea if you have a bed to stick it under

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    sounds good to me. Anything that you can fold up flat and put away is a good thing.

    I have my design wall hanging on a wall in the hallway. There are grommets in the top and I hung it up using those 3M hooks that you can peel off the wall any time without marking it up.
    That's a good idea to hang it. I don't have a hallway though. My home is tiny. I want to be able to set it up on the opposite side of a room and get some distance from it. What sort of surface does your design wall have?

    That's my problem also. It's no wall of any size at all, but I took a cork bulletin board that the kids had had, covered it with flannel, and used that. I could put a few things on, but it helped when piecing blocks. I could line them up in sewing order and not have to use that darned ripper as often.

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    sounds good to me. Anything that you can fold up flat and put away is a good thing.

    I have my design wall hanging on a wall in the hallway. There are grommets in the top and I hung it up using those 3M hooks that you can peel off the wall any time without marking it up.
    That's a good idea to hang it. I don't have a hallway though. My home is tiny. I want to be able to set it up on the opposite side of a room and get some distance from it. What sort of surface does your design wall have?

    That's my problem also. It's no wall of any size at all, but I took a cork bulletin board that the kids had had, covered it with flannel, and used that. I could put a few things on, but it helped when piecing blocks. I could line them up in sewing order and not have to use that darned ripper as often.

  20. #45
    Senior Member vschieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    sounds good to me. Anything that you can fold up flat and put away is a good thing.

    I have my design wall hanging on a wall in the hallway. There are grommets in the top and I hung it up using those 3M hooks that you can peel off the wall any time without marking it up.
    Where did you get the 3M hooks?

  21. #46
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    hooks can be found at Walmart or Home Depot

  22. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Silverlake, WA
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14
    Quote Originally Posted by blhaines
    I am going to try using a vinyl rolldown shade for a display wall. My 'thought' is to take a flannel backed table cloth or a piece of thin batting and stick it to the vinyl shade. That way I can roll it up/down as needed. I haven't figured out how I'll 'stick it' yet, but my thought is with some sort of glue.

    My sewing room is in a spare bedroom so I am in search of a very wide shade to go across the top of the closet. I'll have my dad build a nice shelf (or whatever) to hide the shade when it's not in use.

    Do you think it would work?
    I thought about that one but I was afraid all the pieces of fabric would get crunched or just fall off. Spray glue should work great to stick the batting to the shade.
    Thanks for the dialogue. Maybe, just maybe, I could have another fabric that I could lay on top of the screen before I rolled it up, if there were pieces on it. I'll be sure to post info if I try it out.

    thinking, thinking .... :-)

  23. #48
    Senior Member borntoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    955
    Blog Entries
    15
    Have seen the fold up's in mags and @ Quilt Shows. Seems like a waste of $$$ to me plus I don't have the floor space for it, even for a few hours. My design wall is 2 2 ydsxWOF white flannel panels sewn together. I hang on wall with push pins. Some of my projects stay up there for months, waiting for INSPIRATION to hit me.... JMHO!

  24. #49
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Lots of great ideas. I experimented with different things before going all out.

    I had the luxury of space ... picture this, a 10'x7-1/2' design wall. Used tentest sheeting, covered with black polar fleece. Screwed each panel onto the wall. LOTS of space for many projects ... and almost always covered! At Christmas I had a 50"x70" throw hung on it for two weeks til it was quilted, and it never budged! :)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE my fuzzy wall!!
    Best. Investment. Ever!!! :)

  25. #50
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,418
    Blog Entries
    3
    How about one of those fold-up dress makers cutting mats we all used to use for making garments? It has lines on it and it's easy to stick pins into and it will stand on it's own or fold up to hide behind furniture. You could also staple flannel to it. I use mine when making small quilts in order to get everything straight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.