Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need suggestions please.

Blog Entries

Question Need suggestions please.

My niece is spending her senior year in Lithuania on a Rotary exchange program. She will return home to WI and graduate from HS in May. Her future plan is to be a missionary. I want to make her a quilt for graduation that remindes her of WI and that there is no place like home. Any suggestions?
    Lucky

There are a few books that have quilt blocks that are for each of the fifty states. That may be a way to start. Or you could create blocks that create the feeling of home... and what promotes that feeling/memories... trees... autumm.. green spaces.. family ... activites she participated in.
    My family creates a quilt for each member when they graduate from high school We include in the blocks the interests and events of their life. One quilt we used fabric pieces/scraps from clothing that person wore , and called the quilt "the threads of your life".

I would take some fabric and have family members write a special message on there and sew that into the quilt. I would also use things that she likes in her life. either with blocks that would remind her or with fabric that is themed. and use her fav colors. also maybe a family photo or couple of photos of the family.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Power Poster
    What does she like to do?
    What do her family members do?
    Where does/did she go to school?
    What are her favorite colors?

Perhaps you can find fabrics that will reflect her interests??

I agree with the previous posts. I know most everyone I know loves our Packers, Badgers and cheese.

Blog Entries
    When you said there's no place like home I immediately thought of "The Wizard of Oz", but that's just me. Have fun planning your quilt.

Blog Entries
    Minnesota has come out with a fabric that has many attractions like Mendota Bridge, Duluth Harbor, etc. Check with your LQS and ask if Wi has come out with a fabric.

Blog Entries
    I also think this would be nice fabric.

Blog Entries
    I agree with all of the above and I would add a fabric photo of her house!
    Sue

For some reason I always think of green and other fall colors when I think of Wisconsin. I've enjoyed living here because the change in seasons is so obvious. That could be a place to start.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Where in Wisconsin does she live? It's so different from one place to the next. The shoreline of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan, the Dells, the big pine woods, the prairies, the river valleys--oh, go for all of them.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Thank you to all for their wonderful ideas.
    Lucky

What a blessed niece to have you doing this for her. Get some of her best friends to add ideas. Girls that age always have ideas and would make it even more special if you let them help in some way. Oooops even her guy friends would have ideas for it. My 22yr. old daughter has just as many guy friends if not more than girls.
    Good Luck Teresa