Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need suggestions, please

Need suggestions, please

Sadly, I have to go to a Windows laptop for my embroidery software. Any thoughts on brands for a relatively inexpensive laptop? I’ve been away from PC for a long time. Thanks.

We have an Acer laptop that has given good service for 8 yr. Recently, we got a Lenux notebook...but it's not as good.

I had to buy one to do my firmware updates on my Berninas since Bernina doesnt support Apple. I bought an Acer which I hate, but I despise PCs period.

Are you on a Mac? I have Mac embroidery software. TruE 3 Studio is what I use. I have the less expensive version. I love it!
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Banned
    After having several brands over the years, I won't have anything but an HP now for desk top or lap top.

Cari

I always buy my computers at Costco. They give a second year warranty, and if you use their Visa then you also get a third year from Visa. They also have good phone-in support.

Thanks. I have Macs. Received Font Works with my new Babylock Destiny. I dug out an Asus in the house but it is a few years old and very slow. Not sure if it is worth a chance. Maybe new software instead. ��

Like Cari, I have HP's now. My current laptop has had so much use that the letters are wearing off the keys. I get the HP Elite laptops and they've served me well.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I have had an HP for years now no issues, my husband has an acer. My HP was pretty reasonably priced at staples got lucky and got the last one.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have had good performance from Toshiba laptops.

I use the Bernina Toolbox embroidery software with my Mac. It will also work with other brands of machines other than Bernina. I have found it very easy to use and was not terribly expensive. One does not have to buy all of the parts of it. I basically wanted it for alphabets. I can import all my designs into it. Best of all, no PC. I am a retired computer teacher and have never liked using PCs. Love my Macs.

I've made the switch to Lenovo. We used to be strictly Toshiba, but the last few have had monitor hinge failures and power supply failures, so I don't bother anymore. My latest purchase wasn't a laptop, but a Tiny ThinkCentre refurbished. You can buy refurbished products directly from Lenovo here. The products are covered by warranties and everything. The stock is constantly changing too, so you can check back and there is always something new.

Blog Entries
    look for a used laptop! I had an inexpensive new one that I thought was fine until I dropped it and my daughter gave me an extra Galaxy, well used. What a difference!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    I've also had 2 Toshiba Satellites and they are real workhorses.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

HP seems to be my go to. My first one lasted 15 years and the second one I have now is at least 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    Another very satisfied Toshiba laptop user here too!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    After having several brands over the years, I won't have anything but an HP now for desk top or lap top.

Cari
    I second this. I've had HP computers & laptops for years. I've never had any trouble with any of them.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Shopping for computers by brand name is fraught with pitfalls because there are better and worse ones from any company and a lot depends on what you plan to use it for. Before buying, be sure to track down some feedback about the particular model you're considering. Even that tends to be unhelpful because they change the models all the time and different people have different uses for their machines.

I don't know what comes with the Destiny, but I have the Ellisimo Gold (the precursor of the Destiny), and the editing software that comes with it works with the little tablet what was included with it, which displays your work on the machine's screen. It doesn't do anything else (as far as I know), and is disappointingly limited just to satin stitch, but works well within those limitations. I bought embroidery software for my PC to do a little editing. If you decide to go that route, Embrilliance Essentials is compatible with both Windows and Mac, and can be upgraded. As a beginner, I have found it to be quite intuitive and useful.

My Asus R752M notebook with Windows 10 is 3 years old and I'm happy with it. My son, who has a degree in computer science and stays up to date on technology stuff, went to the Micro Center store with me and he knew what questions to ask and what to look for based on my needs. If I were to go in by myself, the chances are great that the young clerks in these types of stores are gamers who have a lot of interest in features that might not apply to me at all. Before you shop at a computer store, take a picture of the embroidery software package or insert listing the memory requirements. Maybe a tech person in the store can evaluate what would work well. Embroidery software can be pretty demanding.

You could visit a Facebook group specifically aimed at sharing help with embroidery. They may already have a thread about what computers work well with the software. It's by invitation, but they were quick to respond to my request to join: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...20and%20advice Also, there are probably groups on FB or Yahoo specific to the Destiny. Ask at the store where you bought the Destiny what computer they use and let them demonstrate what the software can do. There should be free lessons, and they may have or know of an embroidery club in your area.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Thanks, Rose. I have done much of what you suggest, although hadn't thought of the FaceBook groups. The local store folks are using HP and Font Works... but, they are a BabyLock dealer, so no surprise there. I am planning on a Micocenter store run when I'm in OH. Will definitely check out Embrilliance also. Thanks again.