Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions to store my fabric >

Need Suggestions to store my fabric

Need Suggestions to store my fabric

Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 AM

My sewing area is 8x12 feet. This space is also my laundry room, my potting and green house area, and serves as a buttler's pantry at times. There is no closet. To fit everything in and still be able to work takes some organization. I will try to show a picture of my fabric storage area. I made boxes to fit the available space on my shelves, and moved the existing shelf brackets in the unit to add extra shelves. The boxes I made from old upholstery fabric, old cardboard boxes, and lined with scrap cotton fabric. The fabric is folded, not wrapped around something, and placed in the boxes. Fat quarters have their own boxes. I was able to empty several packing crates onto this shelf unit. Total cost $15. and that was the price of the shelf unit.
Attached Thumbnails custom-boxes-001.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

These are all wonderful suggestions and I have another small one to add. I store those trimmed pieces that should STAY on the cutting room floor (extra lights and mediums/darks) in gallon size zxiplock bags to use as stuffing community service pillows, toys, "medical" dolls, sewing notions and anti-ouch pouches (for women recovering from breat surgery). It's free, 100% cotton, breathable and ... free!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 AM

I just found this in the archives tutorial section. This might be something you can do.

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM

I went to WM and got the bookcases that hold the cubes and you can put the canvas cube totes in them. I have them stacked 2 high and I got 4 of them. It works great; you can even take a picture of what is in them and pin to the outside of tote, project or fabric or whatever.