Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your Help with PP pattern. >

Need your Help with PP pattern.

Need your Help with PP pattern.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Need your Help with PP pattern.

Having sewn one full block, which didn't turn out, attempted a second block again didn't turn
out - Now here I am - I have a pattern "2000 Member Celebration Block 2007 - Carol Doak"
and there are only two sections, A and B each being a triangle. A has 6 pieces and B has 7 pieces, then you attach A and B triangles to make a 6" square block. Here is where there is a problem, the triangle pieces do not fit together
properly - I do not know how to post pics on QB, so not able to attach copy, A seems to be smaller
than B - so how would you go about increasing the pattern on A - in order to meet properly and when it is sewn together it makes a perfect 6" square. It appears like a Mariners' Compass
with all the points, so would you extend the center or bottom and centers in order that the points
aren't lost?

Thanking you in advance, I await your responses or suggestions.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Sounds like when you printed your pattern they both were not set the same. I have had to increase and decrease print size to get it right, I am not sure how to explain but someone will be along to help.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Are the pattern pieces photo copied? Perhaps one is at a different magnifacation than the other? Her patterns are usually very good. Try tracing out all your pieces, cut the pieces as if sewn and tape them together to see if they fit. If they don't fit taped together maybe the pattern is wrong.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM

I printed the pattern and they measure exactly the same on my printer. Measure your pattern before you start, your sides should all measure 6" not including the dotted line around the outside which is your seam allowance, the diagonal should measure 8 1/2" Check your seams as you go. I'd take it slow and give it another try.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 AM

Also, remember to make ALL copies on the same copy machine as one machine's copy can be slightly different in size from another's.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 AM

make all copies on the same machine at the same time. that way, any "glitches" will be consistent.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice. There was a bit of water in my iron, I think that may have been some of the problem, I never even thought of that before this morning. I'm going to attempt it one last time, with a dry iron this time. Both pattern pieces are on the same page, so I'm thinking it must be that there was a bit of steam and it shrunk the pattern......DUH
Have a great day ladies....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

one tip is to mark lines across both sections where they should meet before cutting them apart. then make the sections and use those marks to help line them up together. I did a huge rose wall hanging like that and it worked well. I used several different color pencils. good luck.