Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your knowledge >

Need your knowledge

Need your knowledge

Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Member
Thread Starter
CarolinePaj's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 3,520

Hi Guys,

I have been buying some of the Australian and American quilting magazines and I need help from my quilting sisters across the waves from both countries....

In many of the mags they say to use muslin! Over here in the UK muslin is a very sheer seethrough fabric.... and I can't see how that could be used in quilting.

Is it the same in the ...

USA and Australia

Looking forward to replies!#

CarolinePaj is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Member
aorlflood's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: currently living in WV
Posts: 1,386

In the US, muslin is a plain white or off-white cotton fabric. Many people here in the States use it to back their quilts with. It comes in a couple different "grades"...some is thin, but the more expensive muslin has more threads per weave and is thicker.
aorlflood is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Member
LoriEl's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Monroe, NJ
Posts: 2,657

Not usually, although, there was a thread the other day that mentioned how thin muslin ahd become. It is not sheer, just thin. Usually it is a white or off white fabric and not as expensive as "regular" fabric.
LoriEl is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Member
ghostrider's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,688

I believe what we in the US call muslin is called calico in both the UK and Australia.
ghostrider is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merced, CA
Posts: 4,188

If you can't find any muslin acceptable, you can use sheets. Wash them in hot water and toss in a hot dryer, that will get rid of all stiffeners and if used, any other stuff that might be lurking in the material. These will last and last and last.
I was raised to believe that the only thing acceptable for quilt backing was white, but now it's becoming not only acceptable but quite usual to find either patched backing or some color/pattern matching the front of the quilt on the backing. It's YOUR quilt, use your color sense, or use whatever you can find and feel good about.
Ramona Byrd is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Member
miss_ticky2's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 2,062

Here in Australia I also have known muslin to be very very thin. However, I did see something they called muslin in our Spotlight store recently and it was much thicker...but maybe just a little thinner than normal quilting fabric.
I think Calico is a tighter weave than what I saw as muslin
miss_ticky2 is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Junior Member
TShooters's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 257

It's also (or was, when I was younger) called
"domestic" fabric/material. Here's a pic on ebay to hopefully help.

TShooters is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 17,068

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I believe what we in the US call muslin is called calico in both the UK and Australia.
I've heard the same thing.
sueisallaboutquilts is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 3,058

Caroline, it is just the fine calico you can buy here!!! Or plain white cotton, not muslin as we know it!! Hope this helps!
CoventryUK is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
06-14-2014 01:05 AM
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
11-28-2013 09:19 PM
04-21-2012 06:02 AM
01-24-2011 08:03 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter