Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your opinion on scrappy quilt fabric >

Need your opinion on scrappy quilt fabric

Need your opinion on scrappy quilt fabric

Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Scrappy quilts are not in my comfort zone but I want to make one. When you choose fabrics do you use the same type design say small prints, mixed with tone/on/tone. Do you stay with lights and mediums together to make it look the best. Should I mix all ranges of light/med/darks???? If you go with darker colors do you make it meds. and darks. I don't know that I'd throw any wild fabric in because again I don't know if that's right. Usually it's in the eye of the beholder but this beholder needs some help. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Google Goddess

I made a disappearing 9 patch from fat quarters and made it scrappy, was fun

here is the link to show you the picture of it

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62011-1.htm
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM

The only distinction I make is whether it's white-based or cream-based, and even that sometimes doesn't matter.

If you haven't done one before, try a small project. You'll be amazed at how beautiful it will be, even when you think there's NO WAY those fabrics could possibly go together!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Diane, for me scrappy has no rules but if it's out of your comfort zone maybe a controlled scrappy would be best.
Maybe grab a bunch of your favorite scraps and go from there.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

I think you'll love making something scrappy. I started here: http://quiltville.com/cathedralstars.shtml Bonnie's site has wonderful scrap quilts. Check them out and you may find some inspiration.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM

This book helped me. Simple Strategies for Scrap Quilts by Lynn Roddy Brown. Good scrappies to you. I am on my second on now.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM

I love making scrappy quilts! I tend to concentrate more on lights/mediums/darks to make mine "work" for me. Everything else is pretty much secondary as far as color/fabric design goes.
Thankfully, I learn more with each and every one I make :)
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM

I made a controlled scrappy "square in a square" with black sashings and fuschia cornerstones. Each 2 fabrics in the square in a square coordinated with each other, but each block didn't coordinate with the other blocks. I hope that makes sense. The black really made it all pop!
I hope you have fun with it whichever way you go. :P
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM

I am not very comfortable with scrappy quilts (I like matchy-matchy) but I recently did a Scrappy Sampler quilt. To make it easier for me, and my matchy issues, I stuck with reds and creams and one major fabric running all throughout it.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM

i think most of my quilts are the 'controlled' scrappy type. that's because i use a lot of different fabrics in small amounts instead of a large amount of a few fabrics. it always seems to work out for me even though some of the fabrics don't go together at all. i usually chose a 'theme' so for instance the latest one i did was 'manly' so i chose manly fabrics like plaid, denim, corderoy and tartans. then i cut some of each and put them together so they are basically random other than not allowing two peices of the same fabric to touch. i did another one in a fall theme. many of the fabrics i chose were not fall themed at all, some were summer or spring but in orange, red or yellow. i think i used over 20 different fabrics. one was even ice cream cones. the only rule i made for myself on that one was that each fabric had to have a fall colour in which i included orange, red, yellow, greens and browns. so although alot of the fabrics had nothing to do with fall the overall look was 'fall'. so that is why i call them controlled because i set boundries but for each fabric i chose i probably did not use more than a fat quarters worth to make twin size quilts. i have more scraps from these scrappy quilt fabrics than what i used, i think. anyways just jump in and have fun. the first will probably be a learning lesson but that doesn't mean it won't be beautiful. (: