Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Is there an upholstry shop or drapery shop near you? I bought a HUGE bag of fabric that was stuffed with approximately 1/2 yard pieces of the fabrics you typically see on mid to upscale restaurant or hotel seating...for $10. The bag was about 'hugging size' and approximately 6 feet long. My friend and I split it and I ended up with a medium size tote (the ones that were on sale after Christmas for $3-$4 at Wal-Mart) full of fabric after I folded it up neatly...and had already passed some on to another user and also had set aside a good sized bagful for a lady who wanted to make cushions for her dining room chairs.

If I had purchased those fabrics by the yard, I would have had to pay $100-$200 for them at fabric outlet pricing, not even regular retail.

If you could find something in your area where you could get this kind of deal, then you would be able to basically be charging only for your time instead of it all going to the price of fabric.

Keep an eye out and you'll be able to find a good deal, I'm sure.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 PM

A friend of mine is in the sewing business and the classes she took before selling told her that you need to take the $$ it cost you for materials and quadruple it. One quarter of the price is your investment in materials, another quarter is for your equipment upkeep, another quarter is to set aside for new equipment to replace what you have when it is worn out, and the last quarter is your profit.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM

I think they are a great idea even though I don't know anyone with a walker. I would pay $20-25 for one. Look around for fabric donations. A local organization gives away decorator fabrics (which sound good for this kind of bag) left over from decorating firms (samples and such)...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM

I agree about using a lesser costing fabric. Even the canvas cloth is beautiful nowadays. If you catch it on sale,
you will pay a decent price and re-coup what you paid out.
Maybe offer the LQS bags at $25 and the lesser costing fabric bags at $15 - 20.

Don't forget to make some in masculine prints. The guys like using these too. How about making matching lap throws? Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by Candace
Janet, don't take what people would pay personally. It's no reflection on your talent and work. There are a lot of people who won't pay more than $50 for a king sized "handmade" quilt from China. With sweatshop labor so prevalent in our market and economy, many folks are used to paying 10 cents an hour for labor! It truly makes selling our home made goods, very hard. And usually only to people who understand we aren't slave laborers here in the U.S.
I understand that. We have had many threads about how non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do.
BUT this comment was from a fellow quilter. :-( :-( :-(
Actually, I've only made one quilt and a lap size, so I don't think I really qualify as a 'fellow quilter'. Please disregard my opinion on the price of $10-$15.00 and listen to the real quilters. I'll just keep my mouth shut in the future.
Fellow quilter, Opinions and suggestions were asked for, never apoligize for your opinion. Kim

my neighbor was in a nursing home for rehab..she was given an "allowance",that the family added to ,that was held by the home.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 AM

I use my LQS as much as possible, but I like a bargain as much as the next person, too. If you like to use you LQS in order to support them and the theory of "think globally and buy locally" try to buy fabric on sale and from the remnant section.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 AM

It sounds like you are committed to creating a quality product. Maybe you need to think about where you are selling them. Maybe more upscale venues. Although it's true that most seniors don't have extra money, their families often do, and they are always looking for gifts that their oved ones will really use. In addition to upscale stores or craft places, how about hospital gift shops?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 AM

It's a gorgeous bag, but I agree with others about buying less expensive fabrics. Some Seniors might not use them for a long period of time and wouldn't get the use out of them. MY sister made one for my Mom and it's really handy. Eiltcoq.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 AM

That is a Cute item and have seen many, always seemed useful for user. :)

Now for opinion; where to sell, Hospital Gift shops a great idea, medical supply store, these may want commission, ask if you can put your contact info by the display. See if Senior center and Indepedent Living homes will let you post a notice that these are available, can always donate 1 oe 2 to see if can get a buzz going. Don't think 20-30 is out of the ball park for pricing. Sturdier base fab, denim, poplin, upolstery (samples) with the upscale Fabric as trim. Found some upolstery fab at WM 60" for 1.50 yd.
Keep in mind all will have to be a little different colors etc. Hate to see a who's walker is that argument, think that sometimes happens anyway!! (gotta add some interest even in at that age and situation)

Good Luck !!! Happy Sewing :)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

What you made was quality & very pretty.
I think you should find a differnet market. Check your surrounding area for other market niches.
Any specialty shops that are doing well?