Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Your Opioion on Donation Quilts >

Need Your Opioion on Donation Quilts

Need Your Opioion on Donation Quilts

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM

I agree that polyester wears forever. I just put the 3rd flannel backing on a poly quilt that I made for my daughter 25 years ago. The poly colors are slightly faded, but still a warm blanket. That is the goal in donation quilts and the kids will really appreciate them.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh for the 70's when we made those polyester quilts!

One thought ... if this is thru an organization, you may want to check if they have requirements as to what is acceptable?

Also, isn't poly more flammable than cotton? Which may be a consideration.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Its the love and care that is stitched in that makes it special...not the fabric. Go for it, they will provide comfort and warmth during a time of crisis.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 PM

"Also, isn't poly more flammable than cotton?"

I beleive it will melt and stick worse than cotton. I sure would like to have the old polester quilts we had as kids. Bet they are still "alive " somewhere out there lol.

Nursing home lap quilts are also a great idea,I am sure they will not mind polyester either.
I guess I don't get why you would not use it for friends and family? beats me....

I remember being a nursing assistant and having to wear pants and a smock made of polyester, dang was it hot. Then came nursing school with the polyester dresses,student aprons , white pantyhose and the dreaded hat lol
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63

I beleive it will melt and stick worse than cotton. I sure would like to have the old polester quilts we had as kids. Bet they are still "alive " somewhere out there lol.
That reminds me of something I heard a while back about how when you fly you should always wear cotton because an ensuing fire after a crash would make synthetic fibers melt and stick to you rather than just burning off.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

i do think it's kind of sad that you Would Not give these to your family; simply because i have always believed that any charitable contribution should be the same quality as i would use myself, or give to my mother-
that being said- there is nothing wrong with using poly blend fabrics in quilting- some (purists) have a problem with it- but
the quilts made from poly blends last forever- do not shrink, do not fade- hold up to industrial laundering-
if you have children in your family you may want to (change your attitude) concerning the poly's and make kids you know quilts that will hold up and make great out-side picnic/play/fort quilts- that's what my granddaugter's use theirs for- they go everywhere with them...in the car, camping, sleep overs, picnics-
drag around quilts are the best quilts!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

there it goes again- hit the send button once= had 2 postings- so editing this one- instead of leaving it to take up space twice
wish we could just delete our own posts when they double up on us ;)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63

Nursing home lap quilts are also a great idea,I am sure they will not mind polyester either.
I guess I don't get why you would not use it for friends and family? beats me....
.... which is why I mentioned it because of the inherent safety risk factors.
And ditto to the why not use it for friends/family??? beats me, too!

For the OP ... If you are doing quilts to be donated through an organization, they may have specific do's and don'ts ... and you might be better to know before you put all your work into it, than to be disappointed when it's not acceptable!

JIMHO
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM

I agree with those that say that anyone receiving one of the quilts would be very appreciative to have something of their own to provide comfort. Regardless of fabric content.

I had not thought about the organization having rules about fabric content, although I can imagine that they would be grateful for any donations. You can always call and verify beforehand. And if the charity you were considering doesn't accept poly - then find one that does! :)