Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing ideas for Christmas >

Needing ideas for Christmas

Needing ideas for Christmas

Old 09-21-2013, 05:14 PM

It's not quilted but how about Christmas aprons? Quick, easy, and you could have adult and child sizes.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Crystal balls?

You say antique but don't specify what exactly. Fabric? Paper? Things? What about reproduction, Victorian, or Santa gift tags? Browse your local scrapbooking aisles and make "old-fashioned" blank Christmas cards. Do you embroider or cross stitch? Sachets always go over well. I stuff them with batting and a cut up dryer sheet for scent. Bundle up some cinnamon sticks, add some holiday greenery, and finish off with a red or green ribbon for hanging. Topiaries! Take a round Styrofoam ball, stick some holiday greenery in that, put it on a decorated stick in a decorated clay pot and title them "Christmas Past."
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Thank you all! Wonderful ideas! I need to get busy!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

I made pot holders with various "hot" items at the theme such as chickens, red, black and white, fruit, apples, hot peppers, etc. They were popular and I also made some matching dish detergents aprons and bag socks (like you put your Walmart bags in) as a set.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]437611[/ATTACH]

Also, the new crocheted scarfs http://www.redheart.com/free-pattern...-crochet-scarf are very popular and I have seen them sell for $15 to $25 each. Another item is fabric folded star Christmas ornament http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fIGg7MNJ8
Attached Thumbnails bottle-apron-2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 AM

Mug mats, notebook cover, small purse, grocery tote, zipper bag, makeup bag.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 AM

I work at a fabric store and I have been told that microwave bowl holders are very popular at craft shows. They wouldn't cost much to make as they aren't that big. They also don't appear to take too much time to construct. I am sure you could find a tute either here or maybe Pinterest. How about fabric napkins? With people being eco-friendly, those might sell too. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 AM

I love this board for all the creative people with great ideas! Thanks so much!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 AM

I make cute pincushions with coffee mugs from the thrift shop. I find nice ones, usually solid colors but some with designs. I fill them with plaster of Paris to about 1/2 inch from the top and let it harden. I use a circle of fabric, at least twice the diameter of the mug. Run a basting stitch around it, fill with stuffing. I sometimes use very fine steel wool in with the stuffing.....sharpens pins. Sometimes I put cute buttons on top, or I make the fabric ball look like an apple with a leaf and stem of felt. I use gem tack white glue to attach the fabric ball, stuffing it into the top of the mug. They are great on the cutting table, don't tip over, hold lots of pins. Melinda in Virginia.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 AM

There is a table runner that you can make that's called the "ten minute runner". I've made it and it took me over 1/2 an hour to make the first one. It's really easy and could be a great seller if you choose fun fabrics and they liked the buttons or whatever you added to it. There is a youtube on it that I watched. good luck!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by cjr View Post
however a few that enhance your antiques in otherwords look like period pieces may sell also they could be used year around.
Along this line, penny rugs/candle mats are cute and fairly quick to make. You could set the candle mats up with a scented candle to match, doesn't have to only be Christmas (for instance, holly mat with holly scented Yankee candle, Easter bunny mat with a jellybean scented Yankee candle, etc.)