Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Advice for Hand Quilting >

Needle Advice for Hand Quilting

Needle Advice for Hand Quilting

Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Hi! I always bought my needles for quilting at Walmart, but I see from several posts that there are better needles at the quilt shop. Can you please tell me what type or brand to look for?
Thanks in Advance!
Took my first quilting last yesterday. Richard Hemming & Sons (size 10) was recommended. Came home and tried it on a quilt I had started and it works great. Also has a large eye (?) but still need to use a threader.

Sara in NC
Old 05-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have tried John James and they were ok. I also tried Richard Hemming and the eye was just too tiny and once I got it threaded it bent really fast. My most favorite hand quilting needle are Roxanne needles. Her size 11 is the same as a Richard Hemming 12 and the eye is the largest on the market. They are also nice and sharp and very durable. A Roxanne needle lasts a long time before I bend it. I use the #11 size but will probably order 12 the next time I order. I also really like that they are packaged in a glass tube, 50 to a tube so they last a long time and are nicely protected.
I have had the exact opposite thing happen. I love Richard Hemming size 11 needles, tried Roxannes and it bent in less than a minute! I use the clover desk top needle threader and the Roxannes needles won't work with it, and the eye is too small for me to thread.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM

hi guys,

I would love to try hand quilting but when I baste I find it diffucult enough..... do you use the stabbing method?

Tips and advice please!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
I KNOW how to hand quilt, just not good at it. I think they are called betweens because once you start hand quilitng on something, you are stuck BETWEEN a rock and a hard place!

:roll: :lol: how true

There are a couple of tutorials on youtube on hand quilting. I have not mastered it, but I enjoy it.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
hi guys,

I would love to try hand quilting but when I baste I find it diffucult enough..... do you use the stabbing method?

Tips and advice please!

Hugs

Caroline
Hi Caroline,

I've just started hand quilting and was having a terrible time making my stitches small enough. Went to a quilting class and the instructor told me to quilt "in the shadow" which is 1/4 inch from the seam and comes just below the seams that have been pressed to the side. Works great for me. You might want to try it.

Sara in NC
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Hi Caroline,

I've just started hand quilting and was having a terrible time making my stitches small enough. Went to a quilting class and the instructor told me to quilt "in the shadow" which is 1/4 inch from the seam and comes just below the seams that have been pressed to the side. Works great for me. You might want to try it.
Sara in NC
Sara, this is interesting to hear for me! I know "Quilting in the Shadow" as "Quilting in the Ditch" and not 1/4 inch from the seam - the name I know for this method is "Outline Quilting".
Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM

I use Jeana Kimball's Foxglove Cottage needles for piecing and for quilting.. I usually use a #12 Between needle for both. They are a bit difficult to thread.. but I get a nice consistent size of stitch with them and they slide through the fabric with great ease.
I quilt with a stab.. or "needlepoint" type stitch.. I keep one hand on one side of the fabric sandwich and one hand on the other, and pass the needle from one hand to the other. and I do not use a thimble.. but do use a small piece of tape as a finger protector and to help grip the needle.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM

hi guys,

Tips and advice please!

Hugs

Caroline
Caroline,
I only use the stab stitching method for two or three stiches to cross a very bulky seam. The stiches on the back of the quilt turn out very ugly and crooked when I do it for a longer time.
The handquilting stich is a simple running stich and most quilting beginners need to practice a lot to find out wich method is best for them, which thimble they love to use etc. Try out several methods and toos until you find your way of quilting. Videos on homepages and youtube can be helpful for you.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:29 AM

Hi Guys,

You are all so very helpful!!! I Love Ya All!!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Google Goddess

wow, awesome thread and learning alot