Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Needle Change

Blog Entries
    When do I know if I need a new needle in my machine? I've done a lot of quilting this summer, but I'm not sure how often I should change it.

Also, in the tutorial for the fabric bowl the suggested needle is a sharp 90. I'm trying to figure out what this is. I have a package of different size needles. They say 70/10, 80/12, & 90/14. Is this the 90 he's recommending?

TIA!!!

Just remember this, every quilt deserves a new needle!

Since I usually make small quilts (lap size) I change my needle on every other one. But then I piece on one machine and quilt on another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarpanini
    Just remember this, every quilt deserves a new needle!
    Wow, them I'm WAY overdue. I'll change it today!! Thanks.

I always change my needle when I start a new quilt -- whether it's a large or small one. That way I don't forget how long it's been in there....

You can use the size 90/14 for the fabric bowls...A "sharp" is just another kind of needle that is really sharp and will help go thru all those layers easier.

I change my needle before a big project, randomly throughout small projects,whenever it needs to be done. But ALWAYS before a big project (like a quilt)

Yes, this is the 90 recommended. The needle sizes indicate, if memory serves, , a British/European # (70,80,90, etc) and American #(10,12, etc.) Next time you are near a Joann's checkout their little flyers about needles, they sometimes have them near the notions area. I agree with 'hcarpanini' that each quilt deserves a new needle. I don't always follow this but am happier with the sound of my machine when I change the needle. If there is a 'thump-thump" sound, the machine is working too hard and the needle at LEAST needs sharpened.
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    When do I know if I need a new needle in my machine? I've done a lot of quilting this summer, but I'm not sure how often I should change it.

Also, in the tutorial for the fabric bowl the suggested needle is a sharp 90. I'm trying to figure out what this is. I have a package of different size needles. They say 70/10, 80/12, & 90/14. Is this the 90 he's recommending?

TIA!!!

I change mine when I begin noticing bad stitches or a pounding noise. I'm cheap.

yeah, me too! LOL

Same here. In fact I am due a new needle, but keep forgetting until I am in the middle of a project or block.

Rita

The "rule of thumb" for changing your machine needle is every 8 hours of sewing. When you hear the pop as the needle goes into the fabric, it means the needle is dull, and could damage your fabric.

Blog Entries
    EVERY 8 HOURS OF SEWING TIME!!! or more often depending on the projects you are working on. sooner is good longer...not so good. some dealers will tell you to change your needle with every new project as a good guideline. and you should clean your machine BETWEEN EVERY BOBBIN! every time you run out of bobbin thread it is time to stop and clean the machine again. your machine will love you for a long long time if you maintain it properly.

Blog Entries
    There are many types of needles for different applications.
    Top Stitch, Embroidery, Sharps, etc... and you can buy different sized needles in these categories, depending on what it is you are doing.
    The needle size is determined by the weight of your fabric and/or threads. :D:D:D

I think Connecting Threads website has a good tutorial on threads and needles :wink:

I've heard it said that they should be changed after 8 hours of sewing. However to my budget that's pretty excessive. I change mine when it starts messing up or breaks.

Blog Entries
    Well, I changed mine before I started making pillowcases again. What a difference!! I never realized how dull mine was until I had a new one. Thanks for teaching me that I've been waiting WAY too long!!

OK, we pay near $10/yd. for fabric, how much for batt, and we are stingy with a $1.00 needle? This is not my original thought. I borrowed it from a LA machine quilter. Think how much it would cost to have your DSM repaired if your needle threw it out of timing or some other boo-boo happened. Change you needles. You won't regret it.

And don't forget to oil your machine (if your manual says you should)! She runs much better with a drop or two occasionally :D

Blog Entries
    I would rather go through 10 needles a day as to have my machine labor unnecessarily! After all, I paid a lot more for the machine than I do for needles. I clean my machine after every completed project - unless I am sewing something that produces a lot of lint such as flannel or homespun and then I will check when I need a new bobbin.

Maintain your machine properly and it will be your friend - don't and the sewing gremlins will get you!

Blog Entries
    My Bernina gets a bit of noise going when the needle needs to be changed...just listen and you will hear the difference. Its good to buy needles when there is a sale, like Hancock has 50% ones usually around a holiday....stock up then !

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've heard it said that they should be changed after 8 hours of sewing. However to my budget that's pretty excessive. I change mine when it starts messing up or breaks.
    Me too! There's some days that I sew 8 hrs. and then I'd be changing needles every day and can't afford it on my disability checks. I wait until I have trouble and then change. I also have more than one machine so don't sew on the same one all the time, but do use the same one for the project I'm working on.