Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
needle getting stuck in down position >

needle getting stuck in down position

needle getting stuck in down position

Old 01-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Default needle getting stuck in down position

i have a Ansley 26 Tin Lizzie 18. i am having an issue where when i start quilting the needle acts as if it is locked in the down position. when raise the needle using the wheel on the back i can turn it clockwise but when i turn it counterclockwise it stop and acts like there is something stuck in the motor.
Befor i take it to a repairman or take it apart myself i was wondering if there was any other trick or something else i could try.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:51 AM

I've had that issue.

Most often it's because the machine needs oil

The second reason takes more time. The thread was wrapped around the flywheel rod inside the head. It took hours to remove the thread with an exacto knife and tweezers.

Another option is too much lint or thread in the bobbin area. It needs a cleaning.

Did any of this help?
Old 01-01-2020, 12:14 PM

i have oiled it and cleand the bobbin area i will try the thread one and let you know
Old 01-01-2020, 12:45 PM

When you are facing your machine, there is a box on the upper left hand side toward the front...inside is the mechanism that adjusts/controls the degree of hop for your foot..open the box and oil that mechanism. It's a place many people miss.I usually oil everything at every bobbin change, then run the machine at a low speed with no upper thread for a few minutes.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:51 PM

I have a Nolting and that has happened when the thread wrapped around a part of the machine before it got to the needle. I watched what was going on and was able to solve my problem.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:08 PM

i cleaned the fount part and oiled it. i have found that the reason it wont go back up is the bobbin housing is catching the needle and bending it. this seems to me that it is out of time. can a person retime it with out a repairman.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Missionx View Post
i cleaned the fount part and oiled it. i have found that the reason it wont go back up is the bobbin housing is catching the needle and bending it. this seems to me that it is out of time. can a person retime it with out a repairman.
It certainly sounds like a timing issue. First you need to find out what through your machine out of time. It doesn't just happen, something causes it like hitting a ruler with the needle or a drive belt going. Unless you can pinpoint an event that you think caused it, involve a repairman/woman.
If you can think of an event, timing is a multi-step process that involves setting the needle bar height, position of the hook when the needle bar is at it's highest point and a locking mechanism for the bobbin case housing (at least on my machine). If you have a good instructional video for your machine it can be done with very good light and magnifiers. I have retimed my Innova on several occasions but I had access to a great video that Innova put out. And not all machines are exactly the same. I would never attempt to reset the timing on my Domestic machine (bernina) and even with the video, I dread having to reset the timing on my Innova. Now they have a special tool for timing that is supposed to make it a lot easier. You can search you tube to see if there is a video for you to follow for your machine. If not, I strongly recommend involving a repairman.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 AM

Timing your machine is not machine specific..if you have a round bobbin(vs. a shuttle), they are all timed exactly the same way. It's not hard if you are comfortable with the mechanics of a sewing machine and can follow a video or directions. The only tool you need is a set of Allen wrenches to loosen, then retighten the set screws. If you are comfortable trying it, you have nothing to lose, if you can't do it in the end, you will have to hire a tech to do it for you, which is what you would have to do if you don't try it.
The only thing I would say is that if you do try it, unplug your machine first, then when you think you have timed it correctly, put a new needle in and thread it, put a bobbin in, then, use your hand wheel to test if it is hitting the needle, or otherwise not right. If you use your hand wheel and it picks up the bobbin thread, then you are ready to plug it back in and try it.
Watch you tube videos, until you are familiar with the terminology, and the process, some videos are clearer than others, watch several.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I found this video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCKjCLF6td0

They indicated they are demonstrating on a Tin Lizzie so perfect for you. But I still would recommend you pinpoint how the machine got thrown out of time in the first place. Another thought occurred to me last night also. Are you 100% positive you have the correct type of needle in the machine and it is inserted correctly?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 AM

Machines don't have to have an "incident" to be thrown out of time. Hitting a pin or a huge thread wrap are most often the cause, but sometimes the set screws can work just loose enough that even excess lint in your bobbin area will move the race, and then you're machine is out of time. Hope that explains it.