Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
needle position for 1/4 inch seam >

needle position for 1/4 inch seam

needle position for 1/4 inch seam

Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 AM

I have to adjust on my Janome 6600 as well. Center position is 3.5, I use 4.2 with my 1/4 foot to get a good scant 1/4 inch. I discovered that I could reprogram the machine's needle settings so now 4.2 is the default setting when I turn my machine on. I just have to remember to move it back to 3.5 when I want to center my needle (which I have programmed in to a second button!)
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM

On my Janome MC 4000 I use the 1/4 inch foot, but I have to move the needle over 1 notch to the right. This means I have to hit the "move" button twice. The needle does not hit the 1/4 inch foot on this setting. I think, maybe it is that I have my fabric right up against the edge of the foot. But, who wouldn't do that? That pesky 1/4" seam... OMG.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM

I just set my foot to 1/4" and sew.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
to sew a 1/4 seam (especially if doing scant), the fabric is not going up both feed dogs. the fabric is going just to the left of the feed dog on the right.
I thought that, too. But one day, I looked at my machine when the presser foot was off, and lo and behold, there is a third feed dog right under the presser foot. My FW has it as well as my White and my Bernina. My Singer 301 does not, but that is not a zig-zag, and sews beautifully.

{Quote from Krisgray} Prefer to piece on my featherweight and other old straight-stitch-only machines. Since it is straight stitch only the feed dogs are closer together and the fabric feeds more evenly under the needle. {Quote}
I feel this way, too. The old single stitch machines seem to make better seam. I have a piece of moleskin on my FW to show the 1/4 inch seam, as it has that 1/8 foot on the right side.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM

I can't move my needle on my Brother using the 1/4" foot with flange. But I can get a beautiful straight 1/4" seam on my Featherweight when I use my magnetic seam guide and Bonnie Hunter's little ruler.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Look carefully at your 1/4" foot. There may be a slight amount of flexibility. I have a Pfaff, and my 1/4" foot allows me to move the needle 2 positions so I can do a scant 1/4". It's all in the size of hole in the foot. Oh, I use the standard base plate, not the single hole base plate.
I have a Babylock Crescendo that came with a 1/4" foot with a guide. To get a scant 1/4" seam, I also need to move my needle 2 position to the right. The hole in the 1/4" foot with guide is large enough to do this. I don't use the single hole base plate either.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I always move my needle over 2 from the left. I have a Bernina 830, close to a 730. Yesterday I tried my 1/4" foot to see if I would like sewing that way, but my fabric was pulled down and bunched up and was a mess. So I went back to using the whole feed dogs. That works so much better. I use an applique foot and move it clear over to the right and back it up 2 notches. Then I use my specialty ruler that gives me a true scant 1/4" seam and put a seam guide down. That works so well for me. I never have any problems with the fabric pulling or not moving because of not enough feed dogs to pull it. Try that. If you want to know the specialty ruler that gives a scant 1/4", pm me and I'll tell you. I would even buy you one because they are so great.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
What I don't understand about moving your needle a notch or two, my 1/4 inch foot is for straight stitching. If I go moving the needle I am going to be breaking it. All 3 of my 1/4 inch feet are this way. Just curious
You need to use your regular presser foot if you're going to move the needle over. I have to do this with my old Pfaff.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I always move my needle over 2 from the left. I have a Bernina 830, close to a 730. Yesterday I tried my 1/4" foot to see if I would like sewing that way, but my fabric was pulled down and bunched up and was a mess. So I went back to using the whole feed dogs. That works so much better. I use an applique foot and move it clear over to the right and back it up 2 notches. Then I use my specialty ruler that gives me a true scant 1/4" seam and put a seam guide down. That works so well for me. I never have any problems with the fabric pulling or not moving because of not enough feed dogs to pull it. Try that. If you want to know the specialty ruler that gives a scant 1/4", pm me and I'll tell you. I would even buy you one because they are so great.
how do you pm someone
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM

I have a Janome. I took a class last year where you had to have a really accurate scant 1/4" seam. I found out that what I thought was a scant 1/4" wasn't. I have to move my needle 2 clicks to the left. Another person in the class with the same machine I have has to move her needle to a different position. We were sewing 48 wedges together to make a circle. Really needed to be accurate or it wouldn't lay flat.
Every machine is different, you just have to play with yours. I was afraid after a tune up it would be different but it was still the same.