Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle reminders >

Needle reminders

Needle reminders

Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 AM

I keep a spiral notebook on my countertop nearby - I have a page for needles - I write down what date I put the needle in, what type it is and what projects I used it for (some smaller projects don't require a needle change every time but most appliques/quilting do).
I also have a page to track when I last "cleaned" my machine at home.
The book also serves as a quick place to jot down things on projects that don't get finished all in one setting - like tensions, stitch length etc. Another page is a Wish List. Post It note flags mark important things. This way I don't have a ton of loose notes everywhere. I just check my book. I use one of those "journal" type spiral books - they are pretty reasonable and have lots of pages.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
What about using different color nail polish, you can get almost any color. Go to a dollar store or any place that sells cheap polish.
I did this with keys. It worked great
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 AM

great idea, thanks
Originally Posted by JeannieT
I keep a spiral notebook on my countertop nearby - I have a page for needles - I write down what date I put the needle in, what type it is and what projects I used it for (some smaller projects don't require a needle change every time but most appliques/quilting do).
I also have a page to track when I last "cleaned" my machine at home.
The book also serves as a quick place to jot down things on projects that don't get finished all in one setting - like tensions, stitch length etc. Another page is a Wish List. Post It note flags mark important things. This way I don't have a ton of loose notes everywhere. I just check my book. I use one of those "journal" type spiral books - they are pretty reasonable and have lots of pages.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 AM

I put a small post-it note on my machine identifying what is in use.

Michaels has small wooden needle containers. I have written needle numbers and uses on each. When I remove a needle from my machine, that's still good, it goes into the appropriate container until needed again.

So far this is working for me!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I tape the package that the needle came out of onto my machine. This way I know what I am using, the painters tape holds it, but doesn't leave any residue :D:D:D
This is what I do. I tape it right the top of the machine where it won't get in the way. I also put a post-it under the needle case with the date so I know how long the needle has been in there. I can usually remember by the date what project I was working on and how many hours I used that needle.

51 and yes I've often forgotten which needle is in which machine. And I just bought two new rolls of frog tape to prove it (at least I remembered I ran out!).
Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I have a quilted mini quilt made of muslin which I have divided into sections quarterly and diagonally so there are 8 divisions. I have stitched on the dividing lines, the mini quilt is bound, and I used a sharpee marker to write on each section what the needles are. I have made 2 of these. One I use for the basic needle sizes, and the other I use for specialty needles.
As I take a needle out of my machine, I put it onto the correct section of my mini quilt, and take out the needle I want to change to. Works really good for me, and if I can, maybe tomorrow I will post a picture so you know what this looks like.
I would LOVE to see this. Please post it so we all can see!

Cindy
ditto! .... do hope that you will show us a pic

Looks like the mini could be rolled up like a jewellery roll in between times. Maybe could have a section for hand sewing needles too?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm going to use these ideas.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 AM

I bought an extra tomato just for needles. I used a sharpie marker and marked off the sizes. Then when I know I just used a certain one, I run it thru the starwberry and store on the right marked side. Great idea, when I was sewing only clothes.

Now the down side...I never marked it off for ball points, or now embroidery and quilting needles. Need to either buy a couple more for that, which is not what I want to do. Or make my own needle cushion.

It is still in the "when I am tired and bored and don't want to think much I'll design one" stage though. lol
Dawn

Ladies, I have seen some beautiful pincushions on this list any other ideas?

Dawn
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM

Getting older . . 52? Don't I wish!
My problem is I don't know what needle to use for what! I rarely change my needle, maybe that is the next step in my thought process!!! My projects would probably go easier if I used the proper equipment!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 AM

Can't you reuse the plastic holder the needles come in? Just mark the one that been used. And 52 is not getting older,just better! P.S. I'm 53 and proud of it.