Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Needle Threader

I have started a wool applique BOM and am using Valdani Pearl Cotton. Have already had a couple of those cheapie needle threaders pull apart on me; so am wondering if anybody can recommend a nice quality needle threader from experience. These "over 50" eyes just cannot do it on their own lol.
    Am looking forward to reading any and all suggestions.
    Thanks a bunch, Nancy

Clover makes a great "stand up" needle threader. I don't rember the exact name, I'm not at home. It is wonderful and easy to use and I am so glad that I got one!!!!

Can you describe what it looks like?
    I just Googled Clover needle threader, and there are a few different ones.
    Thank you!

The one I love is the Clover Desk Needle Threader. It's kind of reddish-brown. I tried to put a link here, but gremlins got it. If you go to the clover-usa.com site and click on Sewing&Quilting, it is number 8 in the list of items that comes up.

I want to watch this thread to get ideas. Those cheapie threaders don't last but a time or two. It's not cool to slobber all over the thread/yarn, etc. to get it through the eye.

A hint I read somewhere about threading a needle was that instead of moistening the end of the thread put the eye of the needle in your mouth and saliva will stick to it and act like a magnet for the end of the thread. I tried it and it works! You might try this until you can get the Clover.

I'll try it, but there is still slobber involved. EEUUUUH.

Babe, I thought I was the only one that wetted both the thread and needle. It works great!

I have never heard of doing that. I'm going to try it tonight. Can't wait to see how it works. I usually just wet the thread.

See Desk Needle Threader where this was discussed with a picture. I have one like it and love it. I just got another one to give to my sister. I think Jo-Ann now carries them,.

I have a Clover Desk Needle Threader too, and I don't think I could ever go back to threading without one. I usually thread 2-3 packages of needles at a time and it's a snap. I have those "Old" eyes and it works like a charm. Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
    The one I love is the Clover Desk Needle Threader. It's kind of reddish-brown. I tried to put a link here, but gremlins got it. If you go to the clover-usa.com site and click on Sewing&Quilting, it is number 8 in the list of items that comes up.
    Yes this is the one I have, though I got it in purple. Perfect color. I also purchased a wood holder for it. I think it ran around 14 or so, you couple probably get it on sale. It is the best thing since sliced bread!!!

Joann's also carries a little blue one, half the size of the Clover Desk Needle Threader, a bit cheaper - - - - and it is total JUNK. Be sure to get the good one and don't try to save a buck on the cheapie brand. Guess how I know... :(

Ok, you are all big fans of the desk threader. Sounds great, but is anyone sure it will do pearl cotton; which is alot thicker than regular thread. Will be looking forward to this answer before I make my decision. Thank you.
    Nancy