Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle-Turn aplique question >

Needle-Turn aplique question

Needle-Turn aplique question

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM

I use between needles #10/#11. I don't have a lot of colors of silk thread so I mostly use regular cotton thread. I find the most important thing is to have thread that matches the color of the applique piece.

I think it's interesting that we all have so many different choices but all applique is beautiful.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
If you are doing needleturn applique or preturned edge applique- 1 layer is the applique fabric, 2nd layer is the turned under edge of the applique fabric and the 3rd layer is the background fabric.
Hmmm, I usually just catch the edge of the turn under + the background fabric. I guess the edge could be considered two layers.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:17 AM

In my original post, I mentioned layers that seemed to cause some repliers to wonder what I meant. I am working on a flower pattern. The bottom layer is my background fabric. The next layer is the stem. On top of the stem is the flower head. On top of the flower head is the flower center. Total 4 layers.

One of the appliques has more than that--double petaled: background, stem, flower head petals, next layer of head petals, center of the flower. Total 5 layers, if I go through all of them. I try not to.

Yes, I do catch the edge and then the next one down. but usually when tying off the last stitch --say on the top layer center of the flower--I'm going all the way down through all the layers and knoting off. Is that not right? Maybe I'm supposed to knot off some other way??? Really don't know how I'd do that. So maybe that is my next question.

Dray
Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Hmmm, I usually just catch the edge of the turn under + the background fabric. I guess the edge could be considered two layers.
I consider the very edge of the fold a layer.