Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Turn Applique Quilts >

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 AM

I love the look of needle turned applique...and have done some, but with hand problems...holding onto the needle for too long is a problem.
I do a lot of my applique with fusibles (not junk!) and I also love doing Mock Hand Applique by machine-which uses freezer paper, and stitched with machine...you have to look really close to see that it isn't done by machine...the edges of fabric are turned around the freezer paper so there are folded back edges, not fused. I have done a couple of large quilts with this method, and plan on doing more.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

I love needle turn applique.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 AM

I love needle turn applique. I am definitely a hand appliquer and yes, there are many of us around. You either like hand sewing or don't. I have many friends who would never do anything by hand. I find it quite relaxing and do it most night while watching TV.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 AM

I love NT applique. I did a quilt in the Country Inn Book and completed it. I always have at least 2 applqiue projects going . One big and a small one. Actually I have quite a few UFO small projects LOL
Nonnie
Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 AM

Needleturn applique is great to carry with you. I always take a project with me to the Dr.s office, seems like it's always a long wait.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 AM

Needle turn applique is definitely NOT dying out; in fact, there seems to be more people using this technique in recent years. I belong to several guilds and The Applique Society in my area, and needleturn is very poplular. This technique may be slower, but the results are worth it. Like anything else, there are many methods for this technique, and not everyone likes the same method. Do a Google search for this subject and see what I mean. Practice each one until you find one that suits you; practice is the key to improvement in any type of needlework.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 AM

I like needle turn as well, but find it tedious.I like fast results.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 AM

I've read most of the replies here and I think the thing that most people look for now days is fast fast fast. Getting er done. Personally I hand piece, hand quilt and hand applique most of my work. so, I'm trying to do my part in keeping the art of the original methods of quilting alive while others choose to move on to the faster more efficient ways. But, one of these days,when I get my longarm, I too, will move on to newer things. But, I'll stll make handmade articles for those special quilting projects.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I just love the results of needle turn Applique, but it seems like there are less, and less people doing it.
I hate to ask but is this part of the quilting art dying out?
How many are still out there doing this amazing part of the quilting art?
How long before you had confidence in your skills?
Needle-turn applique is alive and well! The time investment is significant but well worth it and you have to enjoy hand sewing. With all the fancy machines out there. I can see why people are more inclined to see beautiful results more quickly.
As for confidence in your skills: needle turn sometimes makes me want to rip my hair out by the roots!! It makes me want to scream!! It tries my patience and builds my character!! ( and I love to do it)Have a great day.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by candi
Actually, there is a group on this board who is doing a cyber-sew-along of an applique quilt (Affairs of the Heart) and many people in the group are doing needle turn. Me, I am machining it, lol, tried needle turn when I lived in Hawaii and it was too hard to enjoy for me. I personally don't think any aspect of quilting is a dying art, there are just too many options (a good thing) and people choose what works best for them.
Hawaii is where I learned how to do this as well when I went on vacation there. Bought several patterns and currently finishing up a panel (hand quilting even!) to be made into a pillow. It is relaxing, though time consuming.....great for when you just have to sit and wait, and wait....