Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle types and sizes >

Needle types and sizes

Needle types and sizes

Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi all, I am still confused. I don't know what type and size of needle to use when piecing a quilt. Also would like to know favorite threads. I have been using one from my LQS that is 100% cotton with a silk finish. Any help on this for my confused mind will be greatly appreciated. I guess I should also say, machine needles, not hand quilting. Thanks again
Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM

With needles, the higher the number, the "wider" (or larger in circumference) the needle. What size you need to piece with depends upon what type of fabric you are piecing. A simple Google search on the 3 words "needle size quilting" brings up this wonderful site. Everything you will need to know and more.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...dle-guide.html
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I usually use 14 size needle and whatever thread I have on hand. I do scrappy quilts so I usually use cream or gray all purpose thread. Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:43 PM

thank you so much. I have looked up the site and printed it for my information and will keep with my quilting supplies. I can never remember what to use. This was a helpful site for me!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM

I use size 11 needles for piecing, I have used mettler and gutterman to piece so far, haven't tried anything else
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM

I like to use the smallest needle size that makes the proper stitch with the thread I'm using.

I usually use 50wt or 60wt thread (or a polyester equivalent) for piecing and the needles that work best with those sizes is probably going to be a 10, 11 or 12.

I use a variety of threads for quilting - if I'm using Bottom Line in the needle, I use a size 9 or 10 needle for quilting. If I'm using a 40wt thread (or the poly equivalent) I use a 12 or 14 needle. If I'm using a 30wt thread or larger, I use a 14 or 16 needle - or even larger, just depending upon what it takes to form nice stitches with the combination of fabrics and batt and thread.

I buy ordinary 15x1 sharp needles by the hundred on eBay for $12-15 per hundred - Organ and Orange brands are both very low-priced but high quality.

If I need specialty needles like twins or wings or topstitching, I need to go to one of the more expensive brands, like Schmetz or Klasse'.

I use any kind of thread that has the color and effect that I want. Sometimes the thread is the same in the needle and bobbin and sometimes, the thread in the bobbin is wildly different from the thread in the needle.

Set your bobbin tension for the thread in your bobbin, find the needle size that works with the thread you want in the needle and balance the needle tension with the bobbin tension. It will all be second nature to you before you know it. :)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM
tmg

Originally Posted by erstan947
I usually use 14 size needle and whatever thread I have on hand. I do scrappy quilts so I usually use cream or gray all purpose thread. Hope this helps.
Ditto.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 AM

Johanna, thanks for the site. Have also made a copy for sewing room.