Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needles for piecing >

Needles for piecing

Needles for piecing

Old 03-10-2022, 02:47 PM

Default Needles for piecing

Hi. What are your favorite needles when piecing? Brand, type, and size, please. I'm heading to a retreat in a few weeks, and am in need of needles. I get confused with which needle to use (Universal, Microtex, Topstitch, etc.) and whether size matters and when. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2022, 03:28 PM

Needle selection can depend on a lot of things. I typically use a 10 Universal needle for piecing, I use a small stitch length. I will also use 12s for piecing but usually as a 2nd choice. Depending on the weave of the fabric, it might be first choice. I'm currently doing a test using So Fine thread, it's working out ok for me for piecing. I typically buy the Schmetz 3 packs with 10-12-14 needles.

When I'm piecing/quilting batiks or some other tightly woven fabrics, I really like those Microtex needles!

When I start quilting down again, I'll be doing some more tests with needle types. I usually use a 14+ on my domestic machine. My last top I used Jeans needle, didn't really notice any difference between it and universal.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:29 PM

are you hand piecing or using a machine, what type of fabric what type and weight of thread. all these make a difference
Old 03-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Hand sewing I like John James embroidery needles. They are super sharp but have a nice eye for easy threading. For machine piecing, I buy whatever good brands are offered at my local quilt shop for quilting when they go on sale.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 PM

I use Schmetz or Organ needles in my machines. For piecing with Aurafil thread, I use 8012 Microtex needles. I always use Microtex needles. I fin them far superior to universal needles for most applications. I was told that they are sharper than universal needles and so pierce the fabric better. Whatever the reason, I like them! Needle size needs to be matched to your thread size for the best result. Schmetz has a guide on their website as to which needles and sizes to use with which fabrics and thread. Very handy!
Old 03-11-2022, 04:29 AM

Signiture or guterman thread with a 10 or 12 needle. I'm not particular on needle make, and neither is my machine. Have been using organ needles lately
Old 03-11-2022, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Needle type and size are dependent on your project and thread ( weight, type); Superior Threads is a great resource with Free - printable pages that show what needles sizes and types to use with what thread weights and types. They also have Free pages explaining all the different types/ sizes of threads. You can learn a lot visiting their website
Old 03-11-2022, 05:41 AM

As I have a ton of 75/11 Schmetz from years ago I use those mostly for piecing. I also use them for embroidery as that's what I bought them for back then. So far I haven't have any trouble with them on my Viking Epic......except for 1 which kept falling out due to the neck of the needle was somehow smaller than normal. I guess it was a flaw out of a 100 needles I bought.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:48 AM

I use a 14/90 Organ needle. It is a nice fine needle to use and since it is considered a top stitch needle it it has a nice fine stitch. Very sharp.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:18 AM

I bought 100 14/90 needles at a dealers store and that was $ 20.00. that is 20 cents a piece if I figure correctly.
I will use the 14' for quilting and 12 for piecing.

Last edited by sewingsuz; 03-11-2022 at 11:21 AM.