Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Needles: quilting vs. universal?

Blog Entries
    After the thread talk yesterday, I stopped at Joanne's to pick up needles... There are Schmetz quilting 90/14 and universal 90/14. I bought a pack of each... but what's the difference? On the back of the quilting one it reads "For sewing of normal material we recommend our "universal" needles."

Even the sales folks didn't know the difference, other than one is made to go through batting too? That it? Makes sense. I don't see any difference between the two except for one has that pretty green stripe and the other is plain. :roll:

Anyone know?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    No, but I'd love to know! I'm getting a new machine - Janome 6600 MC for my birthday in June (I think I might have mentioned it a few times already LOL!) and I'm going to have to be more particular with that than I am with my current cheapo Toyota (which I think has had the same needle in for years, and I've no clue WHAT that is! - shame on me);

K x

Blog Entries
    All I know is the embroidery needles are made to withstand fast speeds and friction heat. They are good for machine quilting. Quilting needles are good for piecing and for use with a walking foot.

http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/MachineQuiltingHowTo.html

This explains pretty good the quilting needle. I know the universal needle is more rounded. I hope this helps. I thought till today it was the eye that was the difference. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    After the thread talk yesterday, I stopped at Joanne's to pick up needles... There are Schmetz quilting 90/14 and universal 90/14. I bought a pack of each... but what's the difference? On the back of the quilting one it reads "For sewing of normal material we recommend our "universal" needles."

Even the sales folks didn't know the difference, other than one is made to go through batting too? That it? Makes sense. I don't see any difference between the two except for one has that pretty green stripe and the other is plain. :roll:

Anyone know?
    Universal Point Needles Ė when you canít find specialty quilting needles. This needle is designed for all-purpose sewing and can be used for quilting too, but its tip isnít as sharp as a quilting or top-stitch needle's.

Read more: Choosing a Sewing Machine Needle: A Quilter's Guide to Picking the Right Needle for the Job - http://quilting.suite101.com/article...#ixzz0C5eXUJlX

Quilting Needle Ė for piecing and machine-quilting. This needle has a tapered point to penetrate several layers of fabric and sew evenly over seams

Read more: Choosing a Sewing Machine Needle: A Quilter's Guide to Picking the Right Needle for the Job - http://quilting.suite101.com/article...#ixzz0C5entCbV

Thanks for that definition page Jerrie - off to stock up on quilting needles!!! I thought those were used for actual machine quilting, not piecing.

kn3 - I use my needles forever too and I read where others change theirs every 2 or 3 hours. I do the same with my rotary blades, but when I change it I see why I should have done it earlier!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    Thanks for that definition page Jerrie - off to stock up on quilting needles!!! I thought those were used for actual machine quilting, not piecing.

kn3 - I use my needles forever too and I read where others change theirs every 2 or 3 hours. I do the same with my rotary blades, but when I change it I see why I should have done it earlier!!!
    Yup I'm the same with th rotary blade too! I bought a new one ages ago but I still struggle on with the old one - why do I DO that!!!??? :?

OK, I'm going to change it RIGHT NOW! :lol:

<<

You more than welcome after i found this information i learned something also about needles never throught about it until now i was saying what ever go through several layers fabric will work for me now i been educated

Thanks for the info. Before I found this board I would sew with a needle til it broke. What needless hassles I created for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n

Yup I'm the same with th rotary blade too! I bought a new one ages ago but I still struggle on with the old one - why do I DO that!!!??? :?

<<
    I do the same thing. Pretty bad when your son walks by and says "Mom, I think you need a new blade. Don't think it should be so hard to cut that." Thanks son.

Blog Entries
    Oh my! I'm checking in while I eat my salad at work and see all this great info!! Thank you!!! :D :D

OH!! And starting Thursday Joanne's has them 50% off!! :D

OOOh!!! Learned alot that I didn't know! Thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n

<<
    LMBO...mug up, k? sounds like putting makeup on???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Oh my! I'm checking in while I eat my salad at work and see all this great info!! Thank you!!! :D :D

OH!! And starting Thursday Joanne's has them 50% off!! :D
    SALE???? - STAMPEDE...all Karla's fault, lol!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Banned
    I have used the universal for years. Never had a lick of trouble with them. Maybe the only difference is, 2 seperate companies making them?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    <<
    LMBO...mug up, k? sounds like putting makeup on???? :lol: :lol: :lol: [/quote]

Sigh, I can see I have to teach you all proper English! :D

mug up - a verb - meaning 'to research or acquire knowledge' such as before an exam

now make up - that would be 'getting the slap on'! :lol:

:D :D :D

K x

I put in a quilting needle & it quilts without me being in the room-doesn't everybodys? :shock: :shock: :roll:

I only use universals, for all wovens from blue jeans to bridal gowns to piecing and quilting. I piece queen sized quilts with them, and I haven't had any problems. They are much less expensive than the quilting needles.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have just changed the needle in my machine - after goodness knows how many YEARS!!! I put in a 90/14 which was all I had but the DIFFERENCE!!!! Why didn't I do it sooner?!

K x

LOL k3n.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    LOL k3n.
    Still haven't changed my rotary blade though... :oops:

K x

Blog Entries
    K...go get your rotary cutter...RIGHT NOW!!! I'll wait..............

OK...now CHANGE the blade before you cut your silly hand off!!!!! :roll: :roll:

NO..NO...don't you roll your eyes and walk away...go ahead..just change it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat

So, now she not only has a sharp needle in her machine, but she's got a sharp blade! Sheesh! Does she want one of us to go and remind her, look over her shoulder to make sure she does this ? lol

Blog Entries
    :lol: At school when students are at the computer, I'm always saying "save now if you haven't" since our school computers can goof up and cause them to lose information.

So, once a month the admin should post a notice
    "Have you changed your needle this month?
    How's your rotary blade working?"

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat

I'll change it TODAY!!! Promise! :D

K x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast