Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needs advice >

Needs advice

Needs advice

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM

I have a quilt that is reversible, but the blocks on the opposite side does not match up and it is only sewn around the edges and I would like to take it apart to make two matching quilts but I'm not sure how to go about it. I would like some advice about doing it.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Can you send a picture so I can see how much quilting there actually is
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

If it's already quilted, rather than tied, you would have a lot of unsewing to do to separate out the layers! Basically you have to take out all the stitching that goes through the three layers.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

I understand what you might be going through...

I knew a lady (Kathy) who wasn't very happy with how her quilt had been quilted (the machine quilter just hadn't done what Kathy had in mind), It was a quilt she put in soooo very many hours in cross stitching and she really wanted to be proud of her work- the machine quilting that was done at first just made Kathy cry... so when she found out I could help her- she was thrilled. She brought it to me and I unpicked it all for her- and quilted it just like she wanted- it was VERY worth it for her, to unpick it and have it re-done- right!

So I say- if you are really unhappy with it- UN-PICK it! sure it might take you longer to get done, but if it means a little "elbow-grease" now and a big smile and two beautiful quilts later - I say un-pick it!

I would rather this than never finishing it and hiding it in the back of a closet-
Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 AM

Thank for all the advice. The quilt is not quilted but sewn around the edges. I think I could take the seam out without too much damage, that what I was worrying about.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Elaine, That should be fairly easy to un-pick. I am currently making a T shirt quilt for a client. They decided rather than making it more than king size that I should make it double sided. I am facing the same problem with the blocks on the front not lining up with the blocks on the back. I am going to try quilting each side onto a flannel sheet and then enveloping the sides together after each is quilted turning it, stitching around the edge and tying or tacking it enough to make the two sides stay together. Since there are at least 50 shirts involved I don't know how else to do it and still include them all.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Thank you for the idea I think that is great. I just might do that since I really need one quilt from it. Again thank you!