Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It never fails!! >

It never fails!!

It never fails!!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM

This drives me nuts, too. I wish they made bobbins to hold an equal amount of thread as a spool, so both would run out at the same time!

Laurie
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
This drives me nuts, too. I wish they made bobbins to hold an equal amount of thread as a spool, so both would run out at the same time!

Laurie
I have an old treadle machine (my grandmother's) that actually uses a spool of thread in the bobbin!! I made baby clothes on that machine for both my girls...most beautiful straight stitch ever! Sadly, the spools nowadays don't fit the bobbin case...it takes the old short wooden spools.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I can totally relate. I know there are machines that will signal you when the bobbin gets low but they are lots of $$'s and I love my old machine so guess I'll continue to bite the bullet, run out of thread, and deal with it. One good thing, I can "hear" the difference sometimes when I run out of thread, if I'm paying attention, so sometimes I luck out.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

This is why I love having a machine with a drop in bobbin that also has a clear bobbin cover plate. It takes clear bobbins so I can always see how much thread is left on the bobbin, HOWEVER....I have STILL ran out of thread! The most I have ever sewn without bobbin thread was a block and a half. I have ran out of bobbin on long seams when I thought I had "just enough" It is really bad when you are using your spool thread in your bobbbin and you have "just enough" on the spool and your bobbin runs out. That SUCKS! lol thats when you say THWI and fill the bobbin with a different thread! lol I usually try to fil several bobbins at once so I don't have to unthread and rethread or take the time out to refill bobbins!

Good luck getting it finished!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

the king-of-the-bobbin planets must be aligned just right, like "venus in retrospect" or whatever... LOL Today must just be your "monday"? LOL