Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never learned to measure, Is that bad? >

Never learned to measure, Is that bad?

Never learned to measure, Is that bad?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I'm working on a quilt now that I only used the yard stick for cutting a straight edge. I have absolutely no idea how big it will be but I already love it. It's for my SIL -maybe-

Hope you post a pic of your " yardstick" quilt when done......
Old 03-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Neat! I'm pretty picky about my cuts (I have decided I don't like Accuquilt dies for standard squares because MY cuts are more accurate!) but I've been trying to loosen up. I've bought a couple books that talk about freeform quilting, quilting without rulers...and it looks like FUN but so far I haven't tried it yet. I've done a lot of crazy quilts where I piece in random shapes, but to deliberately cut fresh yardage without a rulers is something I haven't quite done yet.

I'd love to see some pictures of your quilts, if you have any you'd like to share.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I keep thinking about the money I've spent on rulers and how lucky you are for the money you've saved so far. I commend you! Hmmm! Maybe mine would be better if I didn't use a ruler, after all it isn't like I'm going for "show". But then again, I spent the money on all those rulers and templates and should use them. Your quilt, your choice.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM

I bet you cook and bake like my mom did, measuring everything in the palm of her hand or by pinching it between her thumb and forefinger. She was a great cook, but trying to pass on her recipes to me was a challenge. Once I stood by her and each palm-full ( of flour or sugar or whatever) was dumped into a measuring cup so I could actually write out a recipe to follow. My cooking never was as good as she could make it. So, whatever works for you, keep doing.