Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never mind quilting this morning I Must.. >

Never mind quilting this morning I Must..

Never mind quilting this morning I Must..

Old 07-24-2019, 09:36 AM

I 'just' finished going through one of my scrap bins to pull out strips of whatever size and length for another scrappy quilt. I am a really scrappy person and unless it is something very special rarely cut into yardage anymore. Of course there is always a special project to get to so the scraps change frequently. I have one scrappy quilt on the quilting frame right now and it looks like I have been inspired again by this group to do another scrappy (totally scrappy, like what ever hits the hands from the bag is next scrappy).
That means something else just got pulled apart and also is slowly getting put back together since there is NO more space in this room. I do try to limit my quilt stuff to the morning and it is now just passed 1:35 pm so even posting is going to have to stop. That includes straightening up my studio.
Just continue inspiring me to do more!
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 AM

I am in the same situation, and for me it happens when I make several quilts in a row without a break in needing to start the next one. When I get that break, I am pretty good at putting away the last stuff before getting out the next. But now I've been making quilts one after the other since the beginning of the year, so the side piles are getting huge and I need to do something about that too! Perhaps this will be the inspiration I need. LOL
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM

Yes, this works for me too. One of the local quilt store uses clear, well with their name printed on it, plastic bags for your purchases. I never throw them out. They make terrific project bags. Fabric, backing, pattern and sometimes even the batting all go in the same bag. The project can live there for months or travel with me to a retreat or quilting work day. It is so nice when you discover that you need just a little of one of the fabrics to go to the bag and ta-da there it is. Project finished, all the extra pieces are then put into a bin according to color.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I use the 2-gallon Ziploc bags to hold cut projects, including the pattern and extra fabric.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM

When I'm in the middle of a project I do not put things away. They stay within reach as needed. When finished with the project everything is tidied up. I look at it as washing the dishes. Rulers, scissors, pins, patterns, etc. are put away.

Scraps are dealt with and assigned and cut to specification of future scrap quilts. I always have a scrap pattern in mind for them and there may be several patterns. It helps with the storing and cutting and taking care of scraps.

I make scrappy quilts when the scraps I have cut fill their designated storage container and I have enough to make a quilt. I buy new fabric to help finish what I've started. My stash is rather large and I find most of the time something will work from it.
I have ufo's in separate plastic containers which are stackable. I allow myself to start something new if I've finished a ufo or a scrap quilt. My ufo's are dwindling but I still have a lot of them.

If I have several wips and working on all of them at the same time they stay in or are put back into their storage boxes as I finish whatever part I'm working on until next time.

This has worked for me and things are not as messy. Good luck to all of us as we conquer our creative messes!

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 07-24-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I keep asking myself...how do I allow myself to get in such a mess, again? I love sewing in a neat space and get overwhelmed when it's not. And yes time to get cleaning, again!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:56 PM

The other day my husband walked into my sewing room and said..."Didn't this room used to be bigger?"

I think I need to tidy up.

Watson
Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 AM

I used the box a project method and it seems to be working well... Except I realized 2 days ago that I havr 7 WIP and that's just too much. I have an agreement with myself that I cannot start anything else until...well at least a few of these are Done!