Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to appliqué ... >

new to appliqué ...

new to appliqué ...

Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Default new to appliqué ...

I am new to appliqué and have watched some tutorial on using light weight fusible interfacing.. what I was wondering after you have the appliqué ironed on the quilt and stitched around the appliqué, do you quilt over it as you finish the quilt? or go around it...Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I am new to appliqué and have watched some tutorial on using light weight fusible interfacing.. what I was wondering after you have the appliqué ironed on the quilt and stitched around the appliqué, do you quilt over it as you finish the quilt? or go around it...Thanks
I often machine quilt over it, add details to flowers, veins in leaves etc. Not sure about hand quilting thru it. Someone should chime in with that info.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 PM

on the appliqués quilts I have made, I didn't stitch on the appliqué just around it. If you see it needs to be secured, I would think of adding details to the inside of the applique. But then, I am talking about hand quilting. I have little experience combining machine quilting and applique.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

If I use fusible, I usually do a buttonhole stitch on my Bernina proportional with the size of the applique.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:22 PM

thanks everyone for your good advice, I'll try some of these thing out and see which looks the best...Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM

I did a tablerunner with applique santa's on it. I fused them on, then did a Buttonhole St. by hand around them. When the lady quilted it she did not quilt on them. (longarm) They poofed way up, and I don't like the look at all, and they don't lay flat either!! Next time I will ask her to quilt something on the appliques.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:08 PM

Whether I quilt on the applique or not depends on the size and composition of the applique. If it is really small, I usually only outline quilt around it. If there are individual pieces in the applique, I quilt around the individual pieces as well as the outline quilting. As has been suggested, veins in leaves often work. I have seen a lot of machine quilting, not custom, with an overall pattern that quilts right over the applique. I prefer custom quilting to highlight the applique, but it depends on the quilt, its purpose and the intricacy of the applique
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM

this is just a baby quilt, I did a tumbler quilt and the one fabric had dinosaurs on it, so I just cut out some dinosaur out of solid blue fabric and appliquéd them on ...it looks kind of cute for my first time appliqué ..what I am concerned about is being a baby quilt it will get washed a lot and I don't want them to come off..so that is why I thought quilting over them would hold them down better..I did do a blanket stitch around the design also..
Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 AM

The last time I did a toddler quilt with appliqué, I quilted round the appliqué - quite large 'unquilted' areas as you can see here. I have quilted 'accents' on some appliqué on other quilts, but usually just to enhance - not specifically to secure it. Happy quilting
Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

There are no hard and fast rules about it. Some people don't want any quilting on the applique, others want detail quilted. Some times a lot of quilting is required on it. For example on this quilt the maker didn't sew any of the pieces down, it was all raw edge fusible (misty fuse) on un prewashed fabric. So the applique was coming up like crazy. the factory sizing kept it from forming a bond. I had to quilt the bejeebers out of it to get it to stay put and it was still coming up along the edges. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t256886.html . On quilts where the fusible has been secured with additional stitching I tend to just outline. But really there are no rules. Do what you think looks best and what you like.