Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Applique...Need a little help please :)

I wanted to try some applique this weekend. I read some tutorials and got the basic idea of things. I used steam a seam and copied the design from my sons color book. I have it pressed down and am pretty pleased with the results. Now I need to stitch it down.

So my question is what stitch do I use? blanket, zig-zag, satin stitch? I read about using all sorts of things. So what do you think is the best? I really haven't strayed and used very many of the stitches on my machine and honestly don't know what they are. So here is a pic of the ones that I have. From what I gathered it sort of looked like maybe 19 was the one I was suppose to use? And do I need to change the stitch length/width or just leave it at what it is preset to?
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i would use 19 or 20 what ever one is to the right side

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i would use 19 or 20 what ever one is to the right side
    Thanks. There looks like there is a tiny bit of a difference between the two. 19 has a straight line where 20 has little dashes. Does that make any difference?

Blog Entries
    #19 or #39 Small stitches for small pieces larger stitches for larger pieces.
    I wouldn't use the one with dash stitches IMHO

Make up a little sample with a large and small applique on it. Try different lengths and widths of stitches and see what you like the best.
    It also helps to practice the stitches on a sample to get used to manuevering/stitching the applique :wink: :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma

Make up a little sample with a large and small applique on it. Try different lengths and widths of stitches and see what you like the best.
    It also helps to practice the stitches on a sample to get used to manuevering/stitching the applique :wink: :D:D:D
    40? I would have never have guessed that! I used it once on the pocket of an apron. The pocket was black and the stitches around it were hot pink! I liked the little daisy look

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Quote Originally Posted by amma

40? I would have never have guessed that! I used it once on the pocket of an apron. The pocket was black and the stitches around it were hot pink! I liked the little daisy look
    And now I see you changed it to 39 :) Makes more sense! Thanks :)

Blog Entries
    20 is going the wrong way??? ...19...or try to find the stitch that takes a few short stitches, then takes a little bite into the applique piece..blindstitch???

Blog Entries
    Stop and turn your fabric, often too. Leave the needle down, lift the presser foot and turn. Trying to just quickly turn your fabric under the presser foot can cause puckers. It is a pain to start and stop, but you will be happier with the results.

Don't forget to mirror image the stitch if necessary :wink: the straight stitch goes along side the applique and the zigs go on it :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Sorry about that LOL I looked at the wrong number :oops:

Yes, you can use that stitch or others... for a decorative look. They are pretty on circles, the edge of a dress, etc...

Jim
    you can also do a satin stitch which would require you to change settings using the #7....practice on a seperate piece of fabric first regardless of which you choose and good luck

Loved this post as I am new to applique and have been wondering the same thing. So far, I've only used a zig-zag on machine applique, but a 19 on hand applique.

Banned
    19 is what I prefer. I would use a scrap piece of fabric and practice the top pics for you and see what you like. I know lots of people use many different kinds but I prefer 19.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    #19 looks like the buttonhole stitch. I think #20 has 3 stitches between each "zag". As far as size, take a scrap if fabric and "play" with the settings. I usually find that the default setting is a bit too big. When you find the setting that pleases you, write the settings down for the next time.

When I got my new machine, I sat & played with most of the stitches. I used regular, light colored, rather plain quilting fabrics & tried to simulate actual conditions that I would be using the stitch under. When I weas satisfied with the stitch settings. I wrote them right on the fabric with an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie. I keep that in my sewing chest for reference.

Use the one you like. One of the prettiest quilts I saw had a porthole stitched down with a heavy decorative stitch around it. It wouldn't have been nearly as impressive with a buttonhold stitch or satin stitch.

on my sewing machine 19 is the applique stitch. Which is also number 19 on my machine. (Brother)

It depends on what I am appliquing. When I appliqued daisies, I used 19. When I appliqued Airedales and needed some detail, I used the zig zag stitch, adjusting the width and length.

Use whatever stitch you want on the project you're doing. I've used straight, zig zag, blanket and satin (usually a stabilizer is needed with the satin to keep the stretching to a minimum). I've also, on occasion, used more decorative stitches. There's no wrong or right, just preference. If your machine has a Needle Down option, now is the time to use it. Go slowly, be aware of where your next stitch is going and just go for it. I usually do some practicing on a scrap first, get my settings just where I need them then mark right on my machine what they are. I use a fine point Sharpie. That way the markings are there when I need them. When the project is done I simply use an alcohol swab to remove the Sharpie marks. If I'm working on several projects at a time I use different colored Sharpies.

Blog Entries
    19, 20, 25, 39 would all work. If you want it to look primitive, casual you can use a darker thread and deeper "bites" to mimic hand buttonhole. If you don't want the stitching to show much, you use a thread that matches what you are stitching down. Do a bunch of doodling on a practice piece and go with what you like. I am not a big fan of zig-zag or satin stitch - but it depends on the look you are going for.

I do alot of machine applique and almost always use #19.

Blog Entries
    I have also used 32 for applique, and 33 I used for stitch in the ditch. And of course, 19, the applique or blanket stitch.

I am taking an applique class where she is teaching us to step out of the box and use other stitches. I have used 32 on stems and leaves looks very cool. I have used other stitches but can't remember all the different numbers. You can also mirror image 19 and 20 that also looks very cool. Play with the stitches and see which ones appeal to you.

Blog Entries
    I've ordered an applique pattern & need all the info I can find. Have saved your stitches chart.Will you sew by hand or machine? Mine has to be by machine as my hands won't allow much hand sewing.Maybe there's an applique tute on here to help you?

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I wanted to try some applique this weekend. I read some tutorials and got the basic idea of things. I used steam a seam and copied the design from my sons color book. I have it pressed down and am pretty pleased with the results. Now I need to stitch it down.

So my question is what stitch do I use? blanket, zig-zag, satin stitch? I read about using all sorts of things. So what do you think is the best? I really haven't strayed and used very many of the stitches on my machine and honestly don't know what they are. So here is a pic of the ones that I have. From what I gathered it sort of looked like maybe 19 was the one I was suppose to use? And do I need to change the stitch length/width or just leave it at what it is preset to?
    Thanks!

I taught Applique at JoAnn Fabrics,and I would tell my students to use either the satin stitch,or the blanket stitch depending on the look you want. Over the years now I LOVE the blanket stitch and it really is easier to use. Just follow along the RIGHT side of the design and you can choose how far in to go with the part of the stitch that goes onto the applique( I call it the bite),you can also adjust how long or short you want your stitches,practice on some scrap fabric till you get the look you want. Good luck,your gonna love applique. I've even used some decorative stitches you just have to make sure the applique is attached to the background.

I do allot of applique and use all diff decorative stitches just to give it diff looks...so there's nothing you can't use...just depends on the amt of work you want to put into it. I've used 5, 32,19,20,32,35,39,40 and 41...Do some samples and see what you like the best and size...size is adjustable

Blog Entries
    I would use 39 and reverse it so it goes right to left onto the fabric piece. its called the button hole stitch...#19 has 2/3 stitches in between the jump left and would work too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast