Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to applique >

New to applique

New to applique

Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 AM

I have only been a member for a month but have found it so friendly and useful I wonder if I could ask for some advice.
I would like to have a go at applique, nothing too fancy , can anybody recommend any good sites or books.
I am still trying to find my way round this site, I did come across a lovely photo of a dog with leaves and a garden rake, sorry I forgot who had done this but is there a pattern available for this.
Many thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM

I haven't done applique yet either. A freind of mine told me to try something simple such as a heart. She is better at drawing than i am and she made me a heart and a couple of other ones. But haven't tried using them yet. So if you can draw or copy something in the meantime maybe this could help you.

jeanette
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 AM

Well, here is one site to get you started....I would google for a how to page...I know there are alot of them out there!

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/QuiltCategories/FreeAppliquePatterns.htm
Free Applique Quilt Patterns
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 AM

I have only found to date (1) book on appliques, that I picked up at JoAnns. It's called Applique Delights, from piece of cake designs, The authors are Becky Goldsmith, and Linda Jenkins. Lots of patterns to play with. But I have yet to date found any others, nor have I found any web sites. So if I want a pattern piece, I sit down and start drawing, what I want, Then I'll enlarge or play around with it. In Applique Delights, there are 100 applique blocks you can do, and of course play around with. I love applique, but I to am limited do to availabilty of sources. Another good place to look is in coloring books, REALLY, there are some neat things to play with in there.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I dont think I will be very good at the turning under bit have any of you used steam a seam or similar.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Fusible bonds like steam-a-seam are fast and easy, but MUST be sewn down if the item s going to be put through washing machines on a regular basis. Unless I am satin stitching every bit of exposed edge, I also use Fray-check to prevent unravelling.

There are other methods using everything from glu sticks to dryer sheets. Try a couple different ways and you'll find the ones that are easy for you.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 AM

This might help you.

http://sewing.about.com/od/applique/ss/applique1.htm
How to Applique with Fusible Web
Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 AM

I love to applique and have found the freezer paper method the easiest for me. It really helps turn the edges under with a crisp fold and is easier to sew down.
Also Elenor Burns has an easy way to applique your pieces, I've tried it a couple of times, but it only works on larger pieces. I have a lot of Piece of Cakes patterns and they are fun to do, they tend to have alot of tiny pieces to applique and those aren't the best for a beginner.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Maxies2,
What kind of applique are you thinking about. Machine or needle turn?tlcquitnut
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 AM

A couple of years ago I decided I would learn to applique. I visited my quilt store and they recommended The New Applique Sampler: Learn to Applique the Piece O' Cake Way . I will recommend it to you too. It goes step-by-step, has good illustrations, and each lesson builds on the previous. It is also by Goldsmith and Jenkins.

Try their method and then try the freezer paper method and raw edge applique. Eventually you'll find what you like best. I'm still looking but I'm improving with each new project (at least I think I am!).